Dress up Ideas for Boys

My daughter's best friends are twins. One if a girly girl and the other is a hardcore tomboy. They LOVE to play dress up but the tomboy often feels left out because we have little options for boyish dress up. We have the princess field well covered, but I am trying to find new ideas for boyish dress us clothes.

Thank you so much ladies! These are all great ideas. I wanted to clear up that both twins are girls, so three girls total. One of the twins is a rough and tough girl that doesn't want to dress up as a princess, but wants to play with the two girls. I know that girls can be heros too, but princesses can be and often are protrayed as heroines as well. My daughter can be a girly-girl one day and a tomboy the next, so I didn't want to make the costume SO different that she would fight about it and someone would be stuck in a tutu that didn't want to be. :( I can't really go drop $20 per outfit x2-3 outfits for each new costume topic, so I needed some ideas on how to streach the budget. Thank you so much.
I was once a tomboy and hated being forced into dresses.
I definatly want to take advantage of the halloween sales, while getting the most bang for my buck. Now I feel like I can go pick out some great pieces without blowing my budget and still allowing some creativity. Thank you all again. Such creative minds!

You could try going to a thrift store and picking up ties, dress shirts, etc. Remember to look in the kids and teens sections and maybe you could find suits and such closer to his size.

Assuming you are referring to dress up for a boy (sorry, I always thought the term 'tomboy' refered to a rough & tough little girl)...

train engineer
cowboy
super hero (anything with a cape!)
king
robin hood
peter pan
wizard
astronaut
navy officer
airforce pilot
pirate
racecar driver
football player
fireman/policeman
doctor

I have found superhero stuff (Spiderman, Batman, etc.), fireman, policeman, carpenter hard hats and belts, baseball/football, etc., men's ties/hats/shoes, halloween type costumes, knights...

You can find stuff and get creative at second-hand stores and garage sales: crazy hats, etc.

train engineer
cowboy
super hero (anything with a cape!)
king
robin hood
peter pan
wizard
astronaut
navy officer
airforce pilot
pirate
racecar driver
football player
fireman/policeman
doctor

I have two boys (4 & 6). They aren't hard core sports guys! They love to dress up. I keep all their old halloween costumes in a trunk. If you look on craigslist.com or ebay...list costumes from the lowest price to the highest. I found fab bumble bee costumes last year for .99 & 4.99!!! But you can take advantage of the timing to stock up on cool dress up (used) costumes! There are tons of bugs, pirates, sports uniforms, safari stuff, race car drivers, cops & other various emergency personnel. I like to call those 'community heroes'. There is no end to what you can find for 0.99 on ebay!! Also, they have some things @ dollar stores & Big Lots. I found a lady bug set & butterfly set...just the antennae headbands & wings for like 3.99 a set. Best of luck!

Oh, I have also spray painted their old shoes to match the Halloween costume of the year. Don't know why I felt the need to add that...

Is this a boy or a girl? By tomboy, I would assume you mean girl. I would go for some gender-neutral attire, like pirates (they don't have to be boys!), super heroes, fire fighter, police person, magician. There are lots of things. Check out places after Halloween to find some deals on costumes. I don't think "suits and ties" are necessary for a tomboy. Just because she doesn't want to be a princess doesn't mean she wants to dress as a man!

Knights...go very well with Princess

Hi W.
I have boys & they love to play dress-up. I I always get them extra costumes after halloween.
Boys are easier to please (I think) in this area. You can do rodeo attire, pirate swords, (cardboard & tin foil) bandanas, sunglasses, etc... I hope this helps.

I have a little boy who loves to dress up as well - pirates - he loves them and its easy to do: cut up an old white Tshirt, tie a red bandana on his head, make a fake sword out of cardboard and foil, and draw a pirate beard/mustache with black eyeliner on his face. Also make him a shield with foil and cardboard so he can be a knight with a sword. He can also dress up like a cowboy or a superhero with an old towel made into a cap. Also check the stores (Party City, Target and Walmart) after Halloween ususally their costumes go on clearance and you can find great deals on boy dress-up items. Good luck!

1 / 3