Draining Ground Beef

You would think after cooking for over 10 years I would have figured this out, but what is the easiest way to drain ground beef after you've browned it? Normally I use leaner cuts, so there isn't a lot of grease anyway but getting it off is always a pain. Any ideas?

Put it in a strainer and run water over it into a container that you can "skim" and throw away the fat when at room temp. The excess fat will run thru w/ the water and solidify when at room temp. I seem to get the most excess fat off the meat this way.

If I don't have very much grease, I move all the beef onto one side of the pan, angle the pan just a little, and soak up the grease with paper towels. If I have a lot, I use a lid and drain it into an old coffee can

I use leaner ground beef as well, so there is not much to drain. But I just use a colander and run hot water over the cooked meat. This gets even more of the grease off of it.

If it isn't a huge amount, a slice of bread will sop it up and then you can throw the bread out. That is what I do and it works well.

Do NOT put a strainer in the sink and drain it that way. Even if you run hot water and add some soap down the drain it'll still harden and clog up your pipes. And actually it's worse if you add soap and hot water because that means it won't harden until it's in some unreachable place in your house... if you just dump it down it'll get stopped in the trap under the sink. But you'll be cleaning that sucker out alot if you pour grease down there every week. (a friend of mine is a plumber, he says that is one of the main reason he gets calls!).

I do what my mom did when I was little... tilt skillet to one side, push meat to the side that's 'up' and let the grease flow to the bottom. Then I take a large tablespoon and simply scoop it out into a tin/aluminum can. I put the can right next to the pan so there's no drippage. It's fast (less than a minute), easy and clean up is easy -- just leave the can on the counter until the grease hardens then toss in trash.

I use the same method to save bacon grease, only I save that to a clean glass jar to use later (great for adding flavor to stuff like baked beans, green beans, etc).

Hi, M.! Honestly, I use a strainer, then I rinse it with water to get as much fat off of it as I can. It works!

I tilt the pan so the grease collects in one area and use a turkey baster to suck up the grease and release into a can or glass jar.
J

Dear M.,
Normally, I put it in strainer over a bowl. You can rinse the grd beef too to get more grease out. Don't throw it in the sink. Throw it out in the grass or in the garbage. Make sure it won't leak through the bag. L. J

After I am done browning the beef, I add some water to the pan, and then use a ladle to remove the grease and the water which I put into a small wide mouth glass. I get out as much as I can, then continue cooking the beef briefly to dry it a bit. I put the glass with the grease and water in the refrigerator, when it is cool, I take a fork and lift out the grease, and throw it in the trash; I use the remaining water in soups or for cooking.

1 / 3