I have a standard oven w/ convection. The only time I use the convection is when I am preheating.
My inlaws have a standing double w/ convection. This has its pros and cons.
- they can bake or warm two things at once. This is great for Thanksgiving and family gatherings.
- they have 'cool touch' options so that kids won't get burned if they touch the glass/oven door.
- you can roast a good sized turkey in it. I think they've done a 20+ lbs.
- the bottom oven is really low to the ground. When they open the bottom door the door touches the floor. So we always have to watch the kids to make sure that they are back far enough.
- my inlaws are short around 5', so bending over the get things out of the bottom oven is not a real problem for them. I am 5'4", and hubby is 6'. We have a bit harder time getting dishes out of the bottom.
- because of the 'cool touch' option, my kids don't understand the 'don't touch the oven cuz its on' safety bit.