Double Ear Infections and Sinus Infection

I went to the doctor today and found out that I have double ear infections and a sinus infection. I am going crazy because I can hear anything. He said there is fluid in my ears and he gave me s nose spray that is suppose to open up my sinuses. He said it should work almost immediately to drain the fluid but it hasn't and I am losing my mind because all I hear is echoes in my head every time I breath or talk. Does anyone know of any kind of home remedy that will help to get the fluid out behind my ear drum. I can't take it much longer, I feel like I am losing my mind. Thank in advance.

Hi R.,

Been there, done that sweetie! I take a hot steamy shower or bath with the bathroom door shut. I also use vapor bath for babies! Pour it in the shower and let the vapors help clear your head, same thing with a bath. I think it's a combination of the steam & menthol in the vapor bath. It helps clear out all the junk! Also, Vicks makes a vapor cream that is wonderful too. It's kinda hard to find some times. But Walmart carries it with the mentholatums. Also, you could try filling a sock up with instant rice. Wet the sock a bit (damp) and stick it in the microwave for a minute...or so until it's hot/warm, what ever you can stand. Put that on your ears and neck...it helps relieve congestion too!

Hope that helps!

R.,

So sorry you are sick , I know how it feels. Your doctor didnt give you any antibiotics and congestion medication? It seems to me you should also be on antibiotics and something like pseudophedrine (sudafed). If you are that sick you should call his nurse and let them know what he gave you isnt helping. Good luck.

Hi, R.!

I don't know of anything...safe. lol My grandmother had some home remedies that seem dangerous, now that I look back. lol They involved fire; so, I don't recommend this one. lol

But I know what it's like in your condition right now. Just keep taking the nasal spray and meds. I get this every year; so, I KNOW it hurts and is so irritating not to hear anything but your breathing, coughs, and your own movements. lol Mine usually take a couple of days to clear out my ears, but it's taken as long as 4 before with a REALLY bad infection and LOTS of fluid in there. (My doctor was wondering how I could hear at all with my last one.)

I hope it clears up soon. :(

Hello R.,

Here are a few suggestions:
buy peppermint oil and rosemary oil (wholefoods, sprouts, healthfood store) (caution- shoul not use rosemary oil if high blood pressure issues) put a few drops of peppermint oil on a tissue/paper towell, clip it to the front of your shirt. you can rub a couple drops of rosemary oil just under your ears/jaw area.

anise seed tea (expectorant
fenugreek capsules (expectorant/decongestant)

lemon oil. just put in a small glass plate/bowl and let it infuse the air. kills airborne germs.
like the others suggested, steam is very good.
skip milk, cheese for a few days
gargle even if it's just w/ plain water.
do you have a neti pot?
chiropractic treatment?
~C.~

Benadryl or dimetapp will help to dry the fluid in your ear. I swam for 3 years and took dimetapp (b4 over the counter) the whole time to clear the water from my ears. Be mindful to blow your nose instead of sniffling in because that creates pressure in the ears. Check online to see if your local health food store carries EAR CANDLES. I had this done on my ears and it worked to unplug them and cleaned out built up ear wax. Eucalyptus Oil works well to open up the sinuses and ears. My Bally gym has a steam room that has eucalyptus oil in it & I go there when my ears/sinuses act up. Best to you, get well soon.

Steam is great. The bath is great. I can't do Vick's vapor rub because I'm allergic so I do peppermint bath oil which is wonderful.

Drink hot tea with lemon and honey.

Rinse your nose with a netti pot and saline solution or fill the blue baby nose bulb with warm saline water and rinse your nose.

Hang in there!

Hi!

I agree with Candy. A good, hot and steamy bath or shower should help a bit and I, too, use the vapor bath for kiddos. They now have some tablets that you put on the floor of your shower that are supposed to help open you up a bit, too, but I haven't used them.

Seems to me, when I've suffered from this type of thing, the doctor will give me a shot of steroids to help with the swelling/inflammation which seems to work very quickly. If you have not noticed any relief tomorrow, I may suggest you call back.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!!

This may sound funny but it worked for me and my father. Try pouring some Hydrogen Peroxide in your ears. It helps tremendously to dry up the fluid. It did for us anyways! Hope this helps!

1 / 3