Done Breastfeeding...How Do I Dry Up?

I've decided to quite breastfeeding after 1 year. I've already got my supply down from 25 oz a day to about 6 oz a day and I've only been feeding my DD at night before bed. My question is once I completely stop, thinking next week, what do I need to do to completely dry myself up?

My Obgyn told me that when I'm done breastfeeding my daughter to let her know and she will prescribe me a birth control with estrogen in it to help my milk dry up.

Cabbage leaves in the bra for a day and/or bind yourself with a bandage after feeding her the last time (when you're smaller). This will keep you from having room for the milk to produce.

Good luck! I still have small amounts of milk at times and my younger son quit nursing 6 1/2 years ago.

P. <><

Cabbage leaves work great.

I tapered off and yes I did do cabbage leaves. It worked to a degree. The worst thing to do is pump and/or let your daughter nurse for releif for yourself. Your body will continue to produce milk. I would lay in the bathtub breasts down in warm water for about 15 minutes. Then I would get out and put the cold cabbage leaves on me. I would do this 2 times a day at least. I guess I got lucky because after about 2 weeks I was dry. You have probably already seen a difference in "the girls" Nothing that a great bra can't fix!

My Dr advised me that you may continue producing milk for as much as a year after weaning. There's really not much you can do. You'll want to wean gradually so that you minimize the risk of swollen ducts that can turn into mastitis. I got a milk blister almost 6 months after my son nursed, so it can happen. I found this off of kellymom.com (a really good resource) and it has some suggestions: http://www.breastfeeding-basics.com/html/lactation_suppre...

Just so you know, after I stopped breastfeeding, I still had milk for almost 3 months afterward. Not much, but it was there. So don't be surprised if it takes time!

Drinking a tea made form Sage will help dry your milk. also see www.kellymom.com for some great advice. http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/herbs-oversuppl... this is thelink to herbal remedies.

Cabbage leaves will work to lessen the pain of engorgement but I highly reccomend NOT binding your breasts. This is an older train of thought and the problem is that your milk can be forced back into the ducts under your armpits and cause pain swelling and possible mastitis infections.

It can take a while to decrease as you are working on supply and demand. If you must relieve the pressure, try kneeling ina tub of very warm water and letting your breast hang into the water, it will cause some leakage w/o stimulation so as not to encourage you to replinish your supply.

K., CD(DONA, LCCE

I heard from a lactation consultant's husband that she inadvertently took a allegery/ sinus medicine and had automatically dried up. Not sure how valid this is since I just quit naturally by weaning the baby and me.... Good luck.

Hi L., first congrats on breastfeeding for a year! I am currently nursing my 3rd child, and I also breastfed the 1st two children for a year. I never did anything special to dry up, with my first child it was a gradual process, she nursed less and less over time...with my 2nd I stopped cold turkey because I found out I was pregnant again when she turned 1. My obgyn said I had to quit nursing because it would take away from the developing baby. I never had any problems either way. I will add this.. make sure you have no stimulation(LOL! from baby or darling Hubby) until you are completely dried up. Good Luck!

1 / 3