Dogs That Shed Alot

I have a border collie who sheds alot and we moved to houston and the shedding increased. we have shaved her and it looks bad a do it yourself job and she is still shedding real bad any ideas on how to cut down on the shedding?

feed a better quality dog food, really, it will help a LOT. bathe and brush regularly, but a super premium dog food will help you out significantly.

Find a dog groomer who uses the Furminator treatment. If you have this done every 6 weeks, you can reduce your shedding by 90%. We have a yellow lab, and he was HORRIBLE! Once we started this, it has been so, so, so much better! You can get the comb and the products yourself at Pet's mart, but it was worth it to me to have someone else do it ($48.00 every 6 weeks!) He smells good too!

The Furminatoe from Petsmart actually works great and is worth the money!

Both suggestions are right on the money. I have a Furminator and I swear by that thing. It really isn't a "treatment", it's just a comb/brush type of tool that grabs the loose undercoat. You will be AMAZED at the amount of fur that will come off your dog when you use it. And if you do use it maybe once a week it will cut down drastically on his shedding.

But do look into feeding a premium food if you're not already doing it. Actually, a raw diet is the best thing for a shiny and soft coat. At the very least get some Grizzly Salmon Oil (now you can buy it through Amazon) and that will help as well.

Brush her twice a week.

frequent brushing, high quality food. She may also adjust after living in Houston for awhile, but if it is warmer or more humid, she has more hair to shed. Shaving sounds good in one since, but can make them hotter since their coat helps protect them from heat as well

I can't remember what it's called, but when we had our Saint Bernard (talk about shedding!) we used a special brush on her. It cost about $50 at PetSmart but it was worth it. I can't remember what it's called, but I'm sure the people at PetSmart could point you in the right direction if you say "that shedding brush that has a yellow handle and costs a gazillion dollars!"

We would take her out in the garage and brush her out every night with it. In the spring when the weather was getting hot we'd sometimes end up with a garbage bag full of hair in about three days. At any rate, this brush pulls the loose hair out of the undercoat which helps to keep them cool and if used faithfully will actually help cut down on shedding in the first place since they're not getting as hot. Just don't press down hard on it, or you'll damage their skin. You're just supposed to drag it across their coat. You'll be stunned at how much hair it pulls off of them and that's all hair that won't be sticking to your couch the next day.

HTH!

My best friend has a border collie and she must brush her dog every day and still gets a ton of hair off. Get a quality dog brush and sit for a good brushing a few minutes each day. I don't think there's much you can do to lesson the hair loss but it will help it from getting on everything (still will happen though).

1 / 3