Dog Question: Yeast Infection in Ear?

Hi Moms!

I was wondering if you have ever heard of a yeast infection in a dog/puppy's ear? My dog seems to have yucky brown stuff from his ear and yet I don't think it's ear mite poop (sorry yuck I know). The trainer said it may be a yeast infection in his ear. Is there something anyone uses to clear this up? Of course we will make a trip to our vet. I think this happened after we went to a dog pool day.

Do the vets have to do a test to find out if it is a yeast infection or...?

We had to take in our dog for his Rabies. I asked the Vet to just look in his ear. She charged $50 dollars for looking in one ear for 2 seconds. LOL. She did give him medicine. I can't believe they charged that much money just to look into his ear for 2 seconds and the medicine was costly as well (more than what was expected.) Anyways, his ear is clearing up. It was a yeast infection. Glad it is taken care of. I'll be keeping the extra medicine in case he gets this again!

Thanks for all your advice moms! I sure do love my dog!

We had an "Old school" vet tell us to use OTC Lotrimin cream in the dogs ears. If it's yeast, it will clear up!

AFTER this is treated and healed you can prevent problems by using half alcohol/half vinegar in his ears after they get wet-- that's what I always used on my bassets (Also useful on humans prone to swimmers ear)

I don't know if it is yeast but it does sound like what happens to our dog all the time. Does you dog have floppy ears (like a springer spaniel) or ones that stand up? If your dog has floppy ears, they hang down and cover the opening of the ear, then it might be prone to these types of things. We own an english springer spaniel and because the ears are like that, it doesn't dry out very well and will tend to get infected easily. The vet will be able to get you meds that will help clear it up. We also will use q-tips and peroxide and clean them like you would clean your own ears. Good luck to you.

Yeast is common in floppy eared dogs. My lab had yeast infections all the time for a while, but now I have learned to recognize the symptoms (smell!) and always have the medication on hand. I use Mometamax from my vet. 10 days of treatment usually does the trick for him.

Another trigger besides exposure to water is allergies. My dog has seasonal allergies and when they act up, his ears get inflammed and trap excess moisture which prompts the yeast infection. Now he takes Clairitin to keep his ears happy and we have had very few problems.

Have not read the other answers but it sounds like yeast. You need to take him to the vet so they can take a swab, check it out under a microscope or culture it, and see if it really is yeast or something else (bacteria, excess wax build-up, etc.). Then they can prescribe appropriate medications. Don't buy anything over-the-counter without knowing what it actually is or talking with your vet first. Cleaning the ears 2 to 3 times a week (or sometimes daily) with a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar can help a lot too. Yeast infections are more common when dogs have droopy ears that don't air out well, and sometimes happen after swimming or bathing when there is excess moisture in the ear. Allergies can be an issue as well.

Yes dogs can have yeast infections in their ears. Usually yeast infection are very thick, wet and stinky. Brown stuff can be just normal debris without odor or itching. If it's dry, flaky and brown could be ear mites. Is the dog doing alot of pawing at the ear or head shaking? If not, it's probably nothing. If so then a trip to the vet would be wise. Could be bacteria with yeast, yeast alone or mites. Yes the vet can take a swab of the ear and look at it under the microscope or could just diagnose it from the clinical signs. There is a product that is called Nu Stock that I get from my local feed store. It's cures just about anything honest. It smells pretty strong of sulfur but gets the job done. Might want to check out some reviews on the web. Handy stuff to have if you are a dog owner and like natural treatments :)

Yes definitely. Our dog gets them constantly because of her ear shape and her allergies. In fact she has a bad case right now due to being in a cone from a surgery. After dealing with it for so long, the vet now calls in meds for us. Generally we get brown discharge , she scratches them a lot and they stink. An ear exam is usually what a vet does and checking the debris under a microscope, checking to make sure it's a yeast infection and not something else. There are several medicines to choose from. Most are pretty inexpensive. Ear washes help. Ear infections can get ugly fast, so call the vet in the morning.

yes, dogs can get yeast infections in the ears....& on the skin!

Our labradoodle is notorious for ear infections. To prevent them, I have to regularly use a surgical hemostat to remove the hair/fuzz from the ears. According to the vet, this is a painless procedure......yeah, right. :(

But, on the other hand, our dog is the best dog in the world...so he actually will carry the tool to me & sit & wait for me to work on him! He's amazing!

I have a foaming cleanser from the vet which I use when I notice the ick or the odor (which will knock you out!). This product works only in the beginning stages of the infection. After that we have to use antibiotics. CoCoa has food allergies which is how his ear infections trigger if I don't keep the ears cleaned....or if he spends too much time playing in water.

Hope this helps & good luck.

1 / 3