Dog Breeds... UPDATED

We are in the very early phases of considering getting a dog. I have a 5 1/2 year old son, and one on the way. Is there a specific dog breed that you have experience with that you would either recommend we consider, or one that we should definitely not consider? And why?

Oh, and I really don't want a large dog...

More about my family, as requested... we do have a large back yard with a farm behind us, so we do have plenty of land to allow the dog to run/play with us. We do not have a neighborhood or place where we could safely 'walk' a dog, however. I intend to use a run type system to let the dog out for bathroom duties, but would probably take it out to be with us when we are outside, or to play/run. That said, I'm thinking a dog that is a typical hound-type dog, like a beagle, might not be good for us, as they are known runners. I also don't want a tiny Paris Hilton dog. I guess we're just looking for a basic, good all around family dog. My husband works a lot, but as of February, I will be a sahm, so I'll be home with the dog most of the time. We aren't homebody, stay in the house types, but we aren't outdoors people either (don't hike, kayak, etc.) Kind of in the middle, I guess?

Thanks for any experience you can share.

**********We are looking at puggles right now... Pug/Beagle mix. They are said to be great family dogs, smart, easy to train, affectionate, playful but like their down time, great size for our family, and just so darn cute! I'll update if/when we do choose a puppy!!********

ETA, I do like labs, we had one years ago... but I just don't think I can go through the at least 3 years of ridiculous pyppy-hood! They are nutcases for at least 3 years, at least in my experience! NIce dogs, but I can't go there again! I know all dogs are puppies for a while, but labs tend to be puppy energetic for a much longer time than other breeds...

All American Mutt from the shelter. You can probably find a young adult dog that's already potty trained and the staff and volunteers can help you choose the right dog. And a lot of shelters offer training classed and follow up help if you have trouble down the road....

I have 2 standard dachshunds, who are very good dogs, gentle and playful - a little willful, but good dogs. they weigh about 12 lbs I guess.
I also have a 150 lb Great Pyrenees, and he is the best, most gentle and loving dog I have ever owned, but he is BIG!
The last dog I had was a Samoyed, and was very beautiful, but took a lot of grooming.
Every lab I have ever known wanders and barks a lot!

I just read somebody say about doxies barking - and yes mine do bark, but only when someone pulls up, which is a good thing, or if they hear a noise, my big boy barks a lot too - dogs bark. They just do.

I'd wait until baby is past potty training... having a baby and needing to train and housebreak a puppy will be too much for you. Doesn't matter the breed - it will still take a lot of time, effort and immediate income into training (obedience training is KEY with any kind of dog) and taking care of the dog's vet bills.

There's a breed called a "Shelter" dog or "Rescue" dog. Even Oprah has them! They make great pets, are loving and grateful, not inbred with defects bred repeatedly into them like overbred pups from backyard breeders and puppy mills. These "Shelter" or "Rescue" dogs are available by the thousands at the pound, on death row at the pound, at your local humane society, and local rescue groups ! http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/The-Truth-About-Animal-She...

Lastly, whatever you get, remember that a pet is a "lifetime commitment".

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/The-Truth-About-Animal-She...

A rescue dog might be a good way to go. You can have a chance to see their personality first hand, instead of puppy to only find out is a terror. Oh I almost brought home a sweet a girl I woalked at the shleter today. She was some kind of mix. I love pure breds and adore puppies. But honestly volunteering at the shelter and seeing all these awesome dogs with great personalities. Yes they are many hyper untrained dogs in shelters, but I was shocked to find some many calm ones.

L.--Check out your luck! Looks like there is a great rescue right in your town. I would call and talk to one of the workers who places animals and see if they have a recommendation:

http://www.fayettefriendsofanimals.net/ourdogs.html

I would check out that list, see which dogs you feel drawn to, then read about those breeds. Also, consider an adult dog, and you can skip over some of the troubling puppy behaviors. (Also, check petfinder.org)

I really like shepherds/mixes. They can be very protective, and watchful, and that can need to be channeled. I have a shepherd/akita mix. He's a little more aloof/shy, not an all the time in your face, pet-me-pet-me type, like a lab or golden (who I love, too, but don't want to live with), and he's smart, but not a trouble-maker, counter-surfer, trash-picker. And a cute thing about shepherd mixes is that they come in smaller sizes. I think the perfect mix would be kind of a mystery mutt, medium size, mostly shepherd-looking, with a little cuddly-friendly bit of lab mixed in.

Well, I have the best dog in the world!!! He is a Shiba Inu. They are japanese dogs, and so VERY well behaved. We had never heard of them, but my husband fell in love with him (we all did) at the pet store, and we just bought him. They look like a little fox. They are very smart, and learn very quickly. They are not lap dogs though, and that is the only thing that disappoints me. They do not stink, and are very clean. They sit around on occasion and clean themselves like a cat would. They do not like to have a mess around them, and my dog will actually eat the food that accidentally spilled on the floor first, when we fill his food bowl. No going to the bathroom in the house either. He barked a little when he was a puppy, but I do not like barking dogs, so I tell him no barking if no one is breaking in the house lol. I absolutely hate it when dogs bark at anything blowing by, or anyone walking by. So I taught him not to, and he doesn't. He has very good manners too. No jumping on people or jumping up on the table with his paws to steal food, like my BIL's dog. I could go on and on about this wonderful little dog, but you get the picture. They are a pleasure to have around, and anyone that I see with one tells me the same thing.

We have a Puggle (pug/beagle). He is about 25 pounds and is full grown. He is awesome with the kids, one of our toddlers has gotten a hold of the dog's bone and pulled if from his mouth and the dog did nothing but look at him. That same toddler reached in the dog's food dish while the dog was eating and grabbed a hand full of food to enjoy with the dog. Again, the dog did nothing but look at me and whine a little. I do my best to keep the kids away from the dog while eating but I have a fast little guy that seems to move at the speed of lightening. Anyway, our dog has the best mix of both breeds - he is energetic and likes to play(pug) for a while but then will sleep for hours(beagle). He also sticks with us really good when we go out with him. He is a very social dog and loves people and dogs alike, he is a favorite at our local dog park. He was a breeze to potty train but I give that credit to our breeder who had him paper trained before he came to us.

If you do choose this breed, I recommend finding a 1st generation puggle (mom-beagle, dad-pug) as they have the best mix of both breeds. If you get a puggle that comes from 2 puggle parents, you can end of with a wider range of characteristics. While it is great to adopt, we went with a highly recommended breeder because we had been burned too many times through the adoption process of prior animals. If you choose to go through a breeder, make sure they are highly recommended and aren't just running a puppy mill. Our breeder runs a very small scale operation and spends a lot of time socializing their puppies and selecting their forever homes.

We have a Golden Retriever and 2-Labs, love all three! Labs are sooo great with kids and are laid back and lovers. Our golden is awesome, going on 7 and unfortunately has the energy of a 2 year old. Anyway, both breeds are great with kids (ours are under age 5). I know you stated you didn't want large dogs but these are two breeds that are active and love to play. If you don't want to "deal" with a puppy do some research at your local shelter to see if they have the breed you are looking for. Also, google the dog breed you are looking for in terms of a rescue, i.e., golden retriever rescue in PA, and it should bring up local rescues that have the breed you are looking for. Good luck!

I LOVE MY PUG. And he loves my daughter. He's about 22 lbs and wonderful. However, pugs require a lot of personal attention and he is a lap dog. He is the friendliest dog I've ever met. When I first brought my daughter home from the hospital, he wouldn't leave her side and was constantly watching her. He was extremely protective of her, and he still is. My daughter is 2 1/2 now and she sometimes can "torture" the dog and he just sits back and takes it. Also, pugs average life span is 16 years, so you get a long time with your pug, and you can get a 1-2 year old pug and skip the puppy stage and still have a lot of years with your dog.

The only thing we have to monitor with our pug, is his heat exposure. Pugs are super sensitive to heat because of their smush face. Also, some pugs get hip displaysa and eye problems. Ours had none of that and doesn't snore or snort like some pugs.

1 / 3