Does Your Dentist Fill Cavities in Baby Teeth?

My son is 5. We were told by the dentist today that he has three cavities. He still has all baby teeth. Does your dentist fill cavities in baby teeth? Is this normal? I don't think I had any fillings done on my baby teeth but maybe this is a new thing. Thank you so much.

Yes.

If not filled, the cavity will get worse. Bacteria from cavities... can cause bone damage under the teeth, it can cause a tooth ache or abscesses too.

So yes, it needs to be filled.

Yes, they do and we sought a second opinion when my 7 year old was getting crowns and it was quite expensive. Many baby teeth don't fall out for a few years, having a cavity can become quite painful in the meantime and cause permanent damage.

Yes.

So yes, it needs to be filled.

Yes, we have every cavity taken care of as soon as possible.
They need those baby teeth until the adult teeth come in. Some of those teeth they don't loose until they are nearing 12 years old. If the decay isn't treated it can cause infections and ruin the adult teeth underneath that are still forming. The teeth need to be there for their jaw to form correctly. Without them their jaws may grow too small and end up costing you silly money in orthodontics to correct something that could have been avoided.
There is a very good reason to take care of baby teeth just as much as you would adult teeth.

Yes, they can even have crowns. The decay if not treated can actually damage the permanent teeth. Removing them can affect the placement of teeth if the permanent won't be coming in soon.

These are at least the explanations I have been given. All my kids have had fillings on baby teeth. I have sought 2nd opinions when one wanted to do multiple crowns and charge $2000, in that case we ended up with fillings and no crowns at the 2nd dentist. You can take the X-rays to another dentist to have reviewed.

Yes. It's bad to not fill them.

Yep. Absolutely. (Many dentists will just pull the teeth however... it depends on how bad the cavities are, the strength of the dentin -baby teeth are made of a different substance than adult teeth-, and). Reason being, if you don't fill them or pull them they abscess and your mouth rots, and the infection moves into your blood/bones, and you get a systemic infection, and you die. Granted, that process usually takes about a year (sometimes faster, it's why you'll also hear of root canals in toddlers, cavity > abscess... but yep... when they catch cavities early it's fill or yank. One of the two.

Yes, esp molars. Need those to chew and the permanent ones do not come out until around 12

I've had but only 1 filling my entire life. I'm now 38 years old. That 1 filling was in a baby tooth that, of course, fell out. I don't remember much about getting the actual filling so it must not of been a huge ordeal.

1 / 3