Does Your Child "Hum" While Eating?

I know that probably sounds funny--and it is! :) I'm just curious if anyone else's child "Nom Nom Noms" when they eat? My 4 1/2 yo DD started doing this as an infant while nursing, but it really progressed when she started eating baby food. Picked up even more when she started eating table foods & REALLY got loud when she ate sweets or something crunchy. Our family and friends have always giggled about this, as it usually gets more quiet when food arrives (less talking, more chewing), but our DD just got louder! When she was of crawling age and putting everything in her mouth, I always joked that I knew when she put some non-food item in her mouth because she would immediately hum! So funny! I'm sure this is an 'ancestral' (?) thing since that's probably where 'Nom Nom' originated, but it's not all that common. My great Aunt said that her BIL did/does it too, but that's only TWO people who I really know who do this. Last night DD was eating ice cream and just Mmmmmmmmmmmmming the ENTIRE time. It is just so cute and funny! I'm curious, do you know anyone who does this?? ;D

Thank you Mammas! I love all these answers & it's neat knowing that she's not alone in her humming! I still haven't decided if I'll try to help her quit or just let her do it. She was in preschool last year & there was no mention of it from anyone. She starts again next week, so I guess we'll see! I don't want her to be made fun of, so if that ever happens, I'll gently help her out. But for now it's still so cute!!! =D

My husband does once in awhile, usually when he's in a manic mode and the food is good and he was extra hungry. His brothers make fun of him for doing it to this day. I guess when he was little his dad would thump him for doing it at the dinner table. It is pretty annoying. I can see a little kid getting enthralled with their food, but grown adults appear to be pretty "strange" when they do it. I nudge hubby when he starts if we are out or with others. I don't bug him about it when we are home except for laughing at him.

Grandma T, you made me laugh so hard!

I think that perhaps you might try to get her to stop humming while she eats so that she isn't humiliated at school for doing it. Kids can say pretty mean things.

Still laughing at Terri's post!!!

My youngest does this. It was a little embarassing when she'd do it while nursing in public, but I've always thought it was the cutest thing. She's almost 2 now and it's decreasing a lot, but when she does do it I think it's adorable :)

My 2 year old still hums when he nurses. When we are nursing while I am trying to put him to sleeps he hums "twinkle twinkle little star" very monotone! I love it but hate it at the same time because it keeps him and my 3 year old awake. That is so cute!
I guess that means he really loves his "booby"

Lol. My 1 year old does it sometimes. I can tell when dinner is a big hit because that's when she does it! She also does it sometimes just to be goofy, but that's usually if other people at the table are already being goofy. :) When she does it, I just lean over to her and go "MMMMMMMMM!!!!!!" too... I get a kick out of it.

Both of my kids hum, but my 4 year old is the worst. It is a constant.

Hubby is always trying to get her to stop. I don't say anything. I figure she will outgrow it at some point. They will be home schooled, so humiliation at school won't get her to stop.

If my son likes what we are eating he chair dances while he eats.

My brother does this and has his entire life, it drives
me nuts! He actually does it because he is holding his breath. He has issues with not being able to breathe through his nose; he's actually had 2 nose surgeries to try and correct the breathing issue but it hasn't worked. My mom always thought it was cute when he was really little and when she asked the doctor about it when he was around 4, that was when they discovered he couldn't breath. The ENT said he did it in combination with gasping and holding his breath....hopefully your little one isn't doing the same thing!

1 / 3