Does Your Child Have a "Summer Virus"?

On Monday morning my one year old daughter had a 101 fever. I gave her Tylenol infant drops, plenty of fluids, and called the pediatrician. The fever went down to 99. She was fine, just more tired than usual and wanted to be held.

Her fever fluctuated between 100 and 98 and I took her into the doctor on Tuesday. After waiting 45 minutes I saw the doctor who told me that my daughter had a "summer virus." Well! It was worth the wait to see this imbecile for two minutes to tell me what I already know- that my daughter is feeling under the weather.

So I've decided to consult intelligent experts. My daughter is fine. She has no swollen glands, stuffy nose, upset stomach, coughing- however, she's been sleeping a lot. She was on a schedule of a one hour nap in the morning, another hour in the afternoon. Since Monday, she's been sleeping 3 hours in the morning, 4 in the afternoon. Besides this "summer virus" she is growing in her first molar. Could it be teething issues? A growth spurt? She's getting vitamins everyday, drinking milk, water, vegetables, protein. Am I doing something wrong? Is this normal?

IT WAS NOT A SUMMER VIRUS! Turns out it is Roseola. I stand by my opinion- the pediatrician is an imbecile (and happens to not be my daughter's doctor, thank goodness). Today when I was changing my daughter, I took off her night shirt and wham- chest, stomach and back covered with pink dots. I thought it was measles. Back to the pediatrician I went. Apparently Roseola is a common virus and occurs after two days of high fever. The fever and rash are the only symptoms, but it is highly contagious.

Thanks for the advice- I appreciate all your comments. Luckily I have not exposed my child to any other kids in the Rockland County Area (currently she is being quarenteened in a plastic bubble in a germ free white walled room- just kidding). Just a heads up, I don't know how she got this, but keep an eye out for this virus.

Summer colds are always the worst. I just went thru it w/ my 16mo old daughter and I think it has a lot to do w/ their molars coming in. It is tough on everyone when the molars break thru! You are doing all of the right things, just comfort her when she needs it and keep on doing what you are doing. She will be fine!

While I can't give you a diagnosis, I can share my experiences with you. Whenever my daughter was teething, she would get a low grade fever, sleep more and she frequently got diarrhea. I don't know if this helps, but I hope in some way it does.

Blessings,

It is normal :) I would advise against giving drops or any over the counter medication. It is good for a child to have a fever. It is the bodies way of slowing down the invading virus or bacteria. If you give medication to lower the fever, it interferes with the healing process and actually causes the virus or bacteria to multiply which can put your child at risk for a secondary infection. Only if the fever gets above 103 should you consider lowering it and then simply eating can reduce it and there are other alternative methods to OTC Meds.
I am also a first time mother to a 15 month old. She has had about 3 fevers, and just one recently. It was very hard to get over my fear of fevers. But we have successfully gotten over each of them without any OTC meds :) As a mom, you will know when something is seriously wrong. If your child is acting normal, besides some extra sleeping, crankiness or cuddling, the body will do the work it was designed to do :)
Oh, and teething can make them more susceptible to viruses. Supposedly teething by itself can't cause fevers, but I am not sure about that one???

Ha, ha, ha....imbecile...that is sooo funny and they tend to be that way. Alot of pediatricians that try to tell me about my child either are men who know nothing about women and breastfeeding or they don't have children of their own. The pediatricians that don't have children of their own, I think they are the worst in trying to tell mother about her own child whom she is with 24 hours a day. Anyways, you are not doing anything wrong as I can see. You are a wonderful mother who is concerned for her child and you are asking for help through this and you have taken her to see an imbecile who know it all. I was told by a friend who read an article that there is a connection between fevers and children who are teething. They have found that when a tooth is pushing through (as we all have noticed if you look at their gums you see a hole where the tooth will come through) and there is hole, the infection can set in but not infecting the gums itself, but when your body has something like infection in it, the body is fighting it off through fevers that is why fevers are not necessarily a bad thing unless it goes up to 103 or 104 or something like that. So, there will be fevers associating with teething. So, if your daughter is teething, give her Teething Tablets (homeopathic, meaning it's natural) and that will help her by relieving the pain. If she falls asleep afterwards, don't worry. The pain was relieved and she will sleep better afterwards.
She may be growing and that is hard to tell sometimes. My boys have done that and I think my third one, who is 11 months is doing that now. He slept and is sleeping a long time and I think he's growing and he's getting over being sick with runny nose and coughs.
She may have a virus but just keep giving her juice and water...if she doesn't eat, just keep her hydrated. You're doing everything right and fine. Children did not come with an instructional manual so we haveto go along with them and learn about them as they learn about us. Let us know and pray for you all and heop you receive Jesus's Wisdom in raising her if you ask Him. Let us know if we can help in any way through our experiences and you'll do the same for others as you go through this.

I am not a doctor, but a mom too. I would say that it could definitely be teething. My son always got a low grade fever, upset stomach and slept a lot too. Crankiness was prevalent as well. Doctors are great and a good one is a gem to have, but they dont all give the kind of care we need and often, do not care for the new moms who are just worried about their little ones and dont have experience. Kids should come with instruction manuals!

If your doctor continues to leave you less than satisified, find a new one. The hassle of getting a new doctor is greatly outweighed by a doctor that REALLY takes care of you and your kids. Best of luck!

Welcome to the wonderful world of toddlers. I run a hoe daycare and I also have three kids of my own. I call them all Little Bacteria Breeders. It is very common for little ones to spike a fever with no explanation. yes it could just be a mysterious "summer virus". It could also be teething. If I were you I would just keep a close eye on her. Look for any new symptoms or suspicious insect bites. i have heard of children reacting this way to mosquito bites. My little one is 14 months and is also cutting her molars. She has been sleeping more and a little grumpy. I have given her mortin and Hylands Teething Tablets and it seems to help. f you have been giving her Tylenol, try giving her Motrin. Motrin will help with the fever and it will also helpwith the teething because it reduces swelling, which caused pain and pressure. also try giving her the Children's meds instead of the infants. My pediatrician gave me a chart with the doses of the children's meds versus the infants. If you would like I can email you a copy of it, just send me your email.

My 19 month old son is just getting over a two week long cold. He had a runny nose, a cough, he threw up in Applebees and then had a fever anywhere between 100 and 102.7 for FOUR days. We went to the doctor too of course, same thing, "Oh yeah, he's sick, keep an eye on the fever" whatever that means. Oh, and he took a FIVE hour nap on one of those feverish days. This was definetly more than teething, even though he should be getting his 2 yr molars soon.

Blessings,

welcome to the wonderful world of mysterious illnesses. something is wrong, a fever, comes and goes, nothing in particular, you go to the ped, they "have a virus", you go home and worry, wait a few days, go back, same thing. sometimes a rash comes out and you then know it was roseola or coxsackie or something like that, usually it just goes away. and then they usually get sick from sitting in the pediatricians office. and you wish over and over that you or your husband or brother or whoever had become a pediatrician. its constant stress. what can you do?? youre doing everything you can. try not to worry too much, but go with your gut. if you feel something is really wrong, then you keep going back and if you need to see someone else, then you do it, thats all. i have 3 kids 5 and under, and i practically live at the doc, and its almost always "just a virus"... and nothing to do for it. but a fever is scary, so you always check it out, thats all. and by the way, it certainly could be teething or a growth spurt, or a little of everything. did she have any shots before this? could be that too. hope she feels better soon. there are tons of viruses that she is going to get, but remember that you know her best and if you think something is truly not right, then you insist on the care she needs. take care.

I hate to be the one to defend the poor doctors, but somehow we parents expect poor physicians, especially pediatricians, to somehow be able to diagnose every child with exactly what they have every time they have a fever even though they have no other symptoms. The unfortunate truth is that most of the time your child has a fever, it will be some mild virus (sorry, a "summer virus") and they will get better on their own, no antibiotics required. I don't go or call the doctor for a simple fever unless it has been over 3 days, but then again, I'm a nurse and my kids are older and I guess I don't worry as much. I also follow what the other responder said about letting fevers run at low grades - I believe fevers are good and help kids do what they should do - rest and their immune system work. I do treat them if they are miserable or crying though.

1 / 3