Does Your Big Dog Step on Your Feet?

I have a part great dane, part akita, all muscle 100-pound puppy (just over a year old). At least twice a day, she steps on my foot. And it really hurts! I know that you have to catch a dog in the act of doing something wrong to be able to correct them, but this is usually over before I even have time to yell "ouch." I have attempted to correct her for it anyway, but it's obvious she doesn't know what she's in trouble for. Has anyone else had this odd problem? What did you do about it?

Wow! Haha, I didn't think I would get so many responses on this question. There's a lot of good advice here. I used the words "doing something wrong"--that was mis-spoken. I don't think she's doing anything wrong; it's just a thing that she does that I don't like and I want to change it. If I can't then I guess I'll just have to wait for her to outgrow it. Thanks for all the input.

:o) Wear shoes. Mine step on me too but not so much any more. I try to watch their feet and keep them out of the kitchen when I cook.
I have three, 2 shepherds and a beagle mix.

Speak to a trainer. We've had 2 rotties that went through training classes, but I don't remember exactly what the process was (too many years ago). You CAN do it, though. With a big dog, training is very helpful to make them a better pet to have around. Akitas can be very stubborn, so training is always a good thing. Classes are inexpensive, and teach you more than the dog. The dog just wants to please you, but doesn't understand what you want.

I had a large mix breed male that would step on my feet when he was protecting me, in his mind anyway, so I always have warm fuzzies when I hear of a dog doing that. He passed away October 18, 2010.

my doberman steps on my feet, but i don't consider it "doing something wrong", so i've never "corrected" her... i just consider it a small price i have to occassionally pay for having such an awesome dobergirl :)

What is she doing when she steps on your feet? Jumping on you to greet you? Or is she stepping on them when she walks past you when you're sitting on the couch?
If she's doing it greeting you, our dog trainer taught us a simple way to avoid it. Stand directly in front of her a foot or so away and walk directly toward her, giving the command, "Move." Walk all the way into her if she doesn't. Do this several times a day. She will quickly learn to get out of your path when you say, "Move."
If she's doing it when you're sitting, you will have to teach her to take a different route across the room. Take her to one end of the room and leave a treat there. Then take her to the other end of the room, point the direction of the treat, and tell her, "Go." She will learn to go the direction you point. When you do this, set up the treat location and the starting point to follow the route you want her to take across the room to avoid your feet.

This worked with our pit mixes.

your question brought back some wonderful memories for me! when i was very young we used to go visit some friends who owned a great pyranese (sp?) and she would always come over and stand on our feet and then lean in on us so she had a captive audience to pet her! she was the sweetest dog and even though she weighed a ton we loved to be stepped on! i dont remember it hurting at all!

I don't have a big dog anymore we have to small dogs and I am constantly tripping on them because insist on being under my feet while I clean. When I had a large dog I she stepped on my feet a few times but generally it was when she greeted me at the door because she was so excited.

My dog (german shepherd) never steps on my feet. (with the exception of if she is super agitated by something outside and she is trying to get through the door that I haven't yet opened... lol). But just walking around the house with nothing special or crazy going on? No. never. Not since she has been grown. (she is about 6 yrs now).

When she stopped being a "puppy/adolescent" (under 2.5 years) and stopped the jumping on us out of excitement... all the stepping was gone too. I don't remember training her in any specific way to not step on me.. but she WAS trained to understand her place in our "pack". And she is the bottom of the totem pole... behind our kids.

One thing she DOES do... is when I call her over, and have her "sit" near me, she will sometimes sit on my foot. I remember reading somewhere that THAT move is some sort of "comfort" thing... but I can't recall exactly. But our dog is VERY aware of where her body is all the time. Feet included. Maybe some dogs are just innately more "goofy and clumsy" ? Ours is SO careful about where all her parts are.

It's not an odd problem. In fact, I was laughing pretty hard when I saw your post. I have huge Labs and my husband and I are convinced the dogs purposely dig in with all of their weight, their hind paws n' claws to rip into our bare feet when they're mad at us!! I swear they know when we're barefoot and let us have it.

Trainers will suggest you lift your your knee to distance a dog if it approaches to hop or get too close.

I don't have a solution for what our dogs do. They seem to gouge our feet as they run by us at full gallop to bark at the UPS dude or postman

1 / 3