Does Your Baby Sleep in a Play Pen?

My 5 month old has been sleeping in a play pen in our bedroom since she was born. Well my mother continues to tell me how uncomfortable she must be and how we should feel terrible for not setting the crib up for her. - My oldest just turned 3 and we took the crib down when she was 18 months, dont really have the room to put it back up anywhere - The baby has sleep through the night since she was 2 months old, so we dont think there is any issue.

So my question is has anyone elses child sleep there "baby" months in a play pen? Is my mom just doing the grandma thing by telling me what to do?

Thanks for the advice, we set back up the crib this morning. She has slept 3 nights in it and she is still sleeping through the night. Thanks for all the encouraging words!

My son slept his first seven months, until he was just too big for it, in a car seat because he slept all night long by two months. As for the comfort issue in a play pen, babies don't give a flying flip. She would not sleep if she ws uncomfortable. The only thing is when she does move from a play pen to a bed or crib, it will probably take a much longer time for her to adjust. Once we started putting my son in a crib to sleep, he stopped sleeping through the night. He is 3 now, but until he was over two, he wouldn't sleep in a bed all night long. Thank goodness those days are behind me. My daughter slept in a crib from the start, and she was just fine until she decided she wanted to sleep in a bed like her big brother. So, my only warning to you would be that she may get so used to the play pen that she will want to sleep there until she is big enough to want to be in a big girl bed. Oh, besides the fact that if you ever want to use that as a play area when she starts getting mobile and she only knows that as her bed, she may not take too kindly to being put "to bed" when she is wide awake. This is more lengthy than I intended, but I hope it helped.

My son slept in a playpen many a nights and days because we moved in with my husband's parents and didn't have room for a crib, we had no problem with it, we switched him to a toddler bed at 12 months with no issues.

Dear C.,
I don't know what your mom is doing, but if your baby is sleeping ok you are doing just fine.
Don't worry about it.

my oldest son slept in a playpen for a while. the crib we had did not meet the new requirements back then. he is 10 now. we took it down and he slept in the playpen until we could afford to get another crib. there were never any issues with him as far as sleeping in the playpen or his crib when we got one.

Honestly, whatever works for her is fine. There's really not MUCH difference between a play pen and a crib. She's contained, she's obviously comfy or she'd be crying, etc. And, you need to do what you need to do per the room available in your place. If YOU want her to be in a crib, then set it up. And, just remember that the longer she does go NOT being in the crib, the increased risk your taking for her not to like it at all once you DO want her in it. But, honestly... you really need to do what you feel is fine and if you're happy w/ her in the pack and play and she seems happy, just leave her.

My trio slept in the bassinet portion of their pack and plays until our cribs came in and it was never a problem. Once in a while the trio does nap in their play pen and they're never uncomfortable. Maybe you should check with your pediatrician? Personally, if it were me, I would opt for the crib. I would tend to think a crib mattress is more comfortable than a play yard mat but you can always compensate with a padded pack and play sheet. They sell them at Babies R Us.

they sell mini cribs that are actual cribs but smaller

there are weight limits on the packand play to?

to me they are fine for naps and the occasional overnight but not all night every night

My first slept in one untill she was 6 months old in our room. She also slept for at least 5 to 6 hours straight at night. I wouldn't worry about it.

1 / 3