Does Your 3 YO Repeat Him/herself Constantly?

My three year old sometimes will repeat himself constantly for 30 minutes or more on end. Such as "where is the bank mom?" or "Where is the garbage truck?" Even if you repeatedly answer him, or say something silly like "it's on the moon," or say "You just asked me that." It's almost like a nervous habit. Is this typical 3 YO behavior? It's so annoying!

Thanks for all the great feedback. I'm definitely going to make sure he's asking the question he means to (and I'm answering what he's really asking) and I'll also try having him answer the question, too. But most importantly, it sounds very typical. He seems to want to be sure there is never a moment of silence, either, so I'm going to have to help him work on "quiet moments" (good luck!). :)

My nephew became known by his parents as "Austin Two Times" because he said EVERYTHING 2-3 times. It was very annoying and distracting. We just stopped answering him the second or third time and tried to get him to focus on the fact that if he asks a question he needs to LISTEN to the answer.

Don't know the science or developmental reason behind this. But I've seen this a lot in 3 yr olds, and have noticed it more in boys.

That was my son a couple of years ago about that age!! I decided one day to try asking the question right back to my son.

DS = "Where is the garbage truck?"

Me = "I don't know. Where do you think the garbage truck is?" and he would give his best guess. It stopped the repeating.

When we would be heading somewhere like the bank, my son would ask "Where is the bank?" I would say "I don't remember. Can you help me find it?" Then I would let him tell me "Go that way. Now turn that way", and I would verify "Left on Main Street?" so he would learn street names/left/right. If he said the wrong way I would just say "Hmmm are you sure it isn't that way?" and proceed that way.

At this point my son can tell you how to get just about anywhere in our town and back home "Turn left on Main street, now turn right at 1st street"! LOL!

Yup. And next will be the 'why' phase.

My daughter is on the ADHD side (undiagnosed, but recognized by her Dr) and when she was about 3 or so, she'd almost stutter. My ex (her dad) would say things about it... I pointed out that he does the same thing. Their brains are working faster than their mouths can. So picture the repeating with the trailing off stutter thing... : )

I make it a game with mine. When it becomes to the obnoxious point, I start asking them questions.

Yes, it's normal and yes, it's annoying! Although my son's current favorite phrase to repeat is, "I love you, sweetheart!" so that one is very cute! :-)

Yup! My daughter is 2 1/2 and she does it all the time. Even when we answer her. I am just dreading the "why" phase. She drives me nuts but when I repeat exactly what she says then she will stop. Like she will say "mommy moon, see it?" I will have to say "yes I see the moon" otherwise she will keep repeating it until I answer her the right way. LOL I know that it is annoying but get used to it cause it will happen for a while. I sometimes just don't answer her and she eventually forgets about it. Good Luck!!!

Yes, it is normal. Yes, it does get irritating. :)

We never went thru the "why" phase. We're in that "what's THAT?" phase. Fun-fun!

Yes, my daughter is 3 and she just started doing this. She'll ask me the same question multiple times and I will answer her multiple times. At some point I get a bit irritated, but do my best to keep it to myself. I started wondering if she had a hearing problem. She doesn't to my knowledge (has always tested just fine), so I figured it's just a phase (one that passes very soon I hope!) PS - I'm so glad to read other moms feel this too! I thought I was horrible for being annoyed by it!

1 / 3