Does Shopping at SAMS Club "Really" save You Money??

If you answered yes to the question, would you mind telling me what items you buy that save you the most money?

My husband and I want to get a membership but after touring the store, it didn't seem the saving's were that different then shopping at Wal-mart. However I did notice that the Huggies & Pampers were relatively cheaper than Costco's for close to the same amount of diapes in the box.

Anyhow, would love to hear your opinions, thanks!!

i have a COSTCO membership and as long as you use restraint( and its soooo hard sometimes) you can save money buying in bulk. I buy things like Ketchup, detergent, dishwashing liquid, juice, cheese, eggs,and a few other things that are essentials around the house. and the kirkland brand( costco's brand) is really just the same as the name brand). the difference between sam's club and costco( i saw someone say they dell different things) is that costco is supposedly considered to cater to the "middle class" customer. that's why they won't sell Pampers because they are supposedly to good for the "middle class". but i pretty much shop where ever i can get a deal or something I NEED is on sale.

If the price of the membership is more than you ever buy in the store, you don't save anything. When I do buy anything, it's cake, rotisierre chicken, canned milk, diapers, soap...the everyday stuff that you know you will use.

We don't have a Costco or BJ's just a Sam's Club. I found when I compared the per unit cost at Sams and Walmart, Walmart was still less expensive. On such items as toilet paper, paper towels, kleenex, boxed food items, cleaning supplies. The produce was often comparable in price but I like being able to select my individual produce not be forced to buy a bag full when sometimes pieces in the bags are bad. I would often find deals on meat, but then again I would have to buy large quantities and then freeze. Personal preference but we prefer buying our meat on a 'use' basis without having to freeze it. You can often find good deals on electronics, tv's, etc. but like the one poster said how often do you acutally buy the big ticket items like that? So the answer for me would be NO, it really didn't save us money!

Absolutely!

With 2 kids, a dog and a cat, we save a ton of money vs. shopping at WalMart, Target, Kroger, etc.

We have a membership that costs $80/year, we just got a check back for $78 for having a bonus rewards program that essentially pays back our membership costs (Costco).

We have memberships to both. Even though the inventory is essentially the same, the brands are much different. Some things we can find at one that we can't find at the other. Originally, my previous employer covered the costs of membership at both because office supplies were so much cheaper there vs. Staples, etc. But, we pay it now.

Diapers, formula (please no one tell me how I need to breast feed, my daughter had to be on formula so I could get chemo), fruit, meat, etc.

It takes a little while to figure out what you'll use and what you won't. We primarily use it for diapers, fruit (which is SO much cheaper than the grocery store), bottled water, kitty litter, toilet paper, paper towels, chicken/ground turkey (freeze portions until ready), cereal, snacks, OTC medications.

Costco did a side-by-side comparison of their warehouse products. In one cart was name brand items. The other was their Kirkland brand. The savings/cart was $250.

The fresh fruits/vegetables alone are worth it - you eat so much healthier when you have the quantities there and spent the same as you would at the grocery store.

my husband works for a food distributor and KNOWS food prices. We have a membership to sams mainly b/c of the meat prices. We had to formula feed and saved a lot there and we saved on diapers too.We have a 2yo now and buy fruit and veggies cheaper than the grocery store. If you use oxyclean it is much cheaper than other stores including walmart. We aren't big snackers but I do get snacks there when we want them. I buy a lot of paper products there too. I would say spend the $40?? And try it for a year. Can't beat their prices when you entertain. Hope this helps.

I don't think so, no. Til you pay for the membership, and then have to buy everything in bulk where it may take you a year or so to use up all the items, I can't see how it would. Besides that, the closest Sam's to us is 60+ miles away, so we'd be spending all that $ on gas to get there. I prefer just clipping my coupons and staying local. For your diapers...you may want to check out diapers.com and compare the prices there. My sister swears by that site.

We have had a Sam's and Costco membership both. I do have to say, I prefer Costco. I miss buying meats there. I have not renewed either one because I have found that for our family(2 adults, 6yo, 2 yo) it does not save us money. We do most of our grocery shopping at Wal-mart. That seems to be the absolute cheapest and if you use coupons at all, the savings are even better. I even do the coupon thing at CVS pharmacy. We have tried buying in bulk & I don't know if everyone gets burnt out on eating the same thing or what, but we end up having alot of items not eaten, wasted, or had to give away to someone else. I buy my diapers mainly at CVS if using Huggies because of the great coupons they give, plus you can get coupons straight from Huggies.com. Use both the CVS and manufacturer coupon & save big! I am not opposed to generic diapers, so I will use CVS brand or Wal-mart brand too when I don't have a coupon for Huggies. So, I would say, unless you have a pretty big family, you're not saving anything by buying at Sam's or Costco.

Another thing is that we do not have the storage for buying alot of bulk items. The meats & produce departments are what I found most worth the membership and the gift items around Christmas time(clothing, books, dvds, etc.). You might try it for a year and see how it goes.

If you shop there enough, then yes, I think it does save you money. I say that because there is like a $50 annual fee. So as long as you are going there enough to make up $50+ in savings!

Formula and wipes are for sure cheaper at Costco than in the regular grocery store or pharmacy. Meats are usually cheaper too!

My problem is that there are just somethings that I can't buy in bulk. I will never use 10 tomatoes in a week!

actually, the only reason I had a membership was for the savings and quantities I could get on diapers. Also staples like bread, lunchmeats, cheeses and some frozen food items (chicken, etc) were great to purchase. Condments as well.
The hard thing for me was really evaluating the "savings" because everything was in bulk so I spent considerably more each time, but had the food/items longer. I also found self control is a must! otherwise i'd pick up cases of coke, toothpaste, TP, etc. just to have it - not because we needed it. Definately worth a try. Especially around holidays because of the great gifts and books they have!

1 / 3