Does Milk Come in on Own When Scheduling a C Section?

I had my daughter almost 4 yrs ago went into labor then c section I already had milk the day after. This time I am scheduling a c section so will my body know to produce and have milk be ready when my baby is born via c section? Spinal or Edipudal? I heard a spinal is better for the baby? I had a epidual with my first but felt the survery. C section recovery anything that helped you?

I had a scheduled C-section and my milk came in when it was supposed to. Everything worked out perfectly. Good luck and congratulations!

Your milk supply has nothing to do with how early your baby is or if he/she is delivered vaginally or by C-section. Your milk production cycle is triggered when the placenta detaches from your body causing a severe drop in progesterone. This acts as a jumpstart to your brain to start the cycle.

I know you're having a C-section, but if you can breastfeed your baby within 30 minutes of his/her birth, that will stimulate your milk supply that much quicker. If you can't nurse within 30 minutes of delivery, it's not the end of the world. Breastfed as early and often as you are able and feel up to!! The more often you put your baby to the breast, the better your milk supply will be when it changes from colostrum (blood-based milk) to breastmilk (2-4 days after delivery).

The first couple of days of breastfeeding are really just practice for you and your baby while you're setting your milk supply. Babies are born water-logged and don't need a lot of fluids in the first 2 days. If you can picture it, your newborn's tummy will be the size of a marble (1 mL) on Day 1 and only a golf ball on Day 3. They don't need a lot, so know that you're making exactly what and how much your baby needs!

If you have questions or concerns in the days before or anytime after birth, feel free to call Nursing Mothers Counsel at (650) 327-MILK. If you'd like, the woman you talk to will assign you a one-on-one peer counselor. If you want to bypass the hotline, you can email me directly at ____@____.com luck, and congratulations on your new little one!

I had a C-section with no laboring due to complications three weeks before the due date. The lactation specialist came to see me two days after and said I should have been pumping every two hours from the moment my son was born in order to help my milk come in since I did not labor and was early. My milk came in on the 6th day. I had to supplement with formula a little bit using a finger feeder (no bottles).

I had a epidural first and then a spinal at Kaiser since I could still feel the surgery with the epidural. I was told that our baby might be a little extra sleepy due to anesthesia but to wake him for nursing every two hours. He nursed fine but the pumping really helped as well.

hey T.. i had my scheduled C-Sec in Oct with my second son & was also worried about that. i actually tried pumping the day before to see if i could make my body jump start! (didn't work & HURT)My milk came in on the second day. i was nervous the first couple of days thinking baby wasn't getting enough w/clostrum (sp?), but remember their stomach is only size of a marble when born. once my milk came in i thought "i shouldn't have worried". just nurse as often as baby will nurse to stimulate! My first son was also scheduled C-Sec & the second time is sooo much easier with both recovery and nursing! good luck & congrats!

Congratulations! I imagine everyone is different, but my milk did come in with in 1.5 days after a schedule C-section, in which my son was born 2 weeks before due date. The difference with me is that I had only stopped nursing my first son 9 months earlier. However, I did ask the nurse and she said that because I had been nursing less than a year before starting up again, my milk came in quickly. Generally, it will take 4 - 5 days for the milk to come in, once the baby starts to nurse. The scheduled c-section does not make a difference because it is scheduled relatively close to your due date.

If you are really worried about it,you could always request a hospital grade pump to be sent to your recovery room, immediately after delivering your baby, or suppliment with formula until it does come in.

Best wishes.

Your body is already primed to make milk, in fact you may be leaking colostrum already? Insist that the baby gets to stay with you after the surgery unless there is medical need for him to be taken away and put him on the breast. Write it into your birth plan that the baby is NOT to be given bottles or pacifiers and that you want to breast feed and that the baby is room in with you. Make sure that if the baby does have to leave that Dad goes with the baby and does skin to skin until the two of you can be brought back together.

Are you just having a c section becuase you have had one previously? If there is not medical reason other than that for your section you might want to see if you can find a Dr who will do a VBAC (vaginal birth after c section) they are hard to find but they are out there. If you labored and dilated with your first child then you should be a good candidate for a VBAC. My friend just had a beautiful baby girl at home after having twins by c-section first time around so it can be done!

Hi T.,
Good info from Julie C and Gretchen K. They're definitely in the know. Your body knows when the baby is delievered and where to go from there. Didn't God do an awesome job making us! But it's a legitimate question to ask, so don't be embarrassed about asking. The mamas on here are from all walks of life, so you'll get great information every time you ask a question. As far as C-section recovery, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. First, the more you move around, the faster your body will heal...I don't mean lifting and rearranging furniture and going out for jogs, either! I just mean, getting up and moving around the house several times a day. Second, and it might sound contradictory but it's not, take the time to take things easy on yourself for a little bit. A C-section is considered major abdominal surgery, and there is no hurry to do something crazy like start dieting or some bizarre Gene Simmons workout program! You have earned the right to relax when you need to. Take a mommy break when you feel like you need to. The laundry and dishes will be there tomorrow (boy, don't we all know that!) Sit and love on that baby as long as you want. They can't be spoiled as a newborn, and the bonding is such a beautiful thing. This time goes by so fast. Savor it, enjoy it, and don't let anybody make you feel bad for letting the house go for a while while you enjoy your baby. I know you didn't ask anything about that, but I always want to encourage moms to do that. Those babies can never get enough loving, and besides that, the more loving and bonding we do with our newborns, the more it helps our milk come in. So it's a wonderful circle. God bless, take care and enjoy motherhood to the fullest!

Hi T. ~ Yes your breastmilk comes in on it's own. The body is amazing! It knows exactly what and when it needs to do. I had a scheduled c-section with my daughter last April and my milk came in within 1 day. Just remember to not stress over it and allow your body to do what it's meant to do and you should have no troubles. Good luck and congratulations!

Hi T.
congratulations on your pregnancy. I too had a scheduled C section and my milk do NOT come in on it's own. The dr.s said often the pain medication you need to take after surgery can delay the process (they told me this AFTER). I had no idea has my baby was (is) so good natured she didn't cry, just slept a lot and lost almost a one pound in her first week! I had to pump like crazy, drink lots of mother's milk tea and take fenugreek to get my milk to come down. We had a lactation consultant come to the house as well, which helped a lot.
Good luck and don't be afraid of some formula. I was and I regret that now..I could have saved myself a lot of stress and worry.
kellymom.com is a great resource as well
n

1 / 3