Does Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Really Work?

I'm trying to save money, and I'm looking at homemade dishwasher detergent. Several sites mention recipes with 1:1 Borax and either Washing Soda or Baking Soda. Then, white vinegar as a rinse. But several comments said that both of these recipes left a white powder residue on everything.

Has anyone had success with a homemade dishwasher detergent?

P.

Hi I have never even thought or heard of homemade dishwasher detergent but I use the little packets and just put one in the second cup and it works wonderful. It may sound expensive but there is just three of us so the dishwasher isn't run everyday. I love it.

If the recipe is leaving a white residue then someone is using to much soda. Vinegar should cut through the problem and is a cleaner on it's own. I use vinegar water on my windows etc to cut through film of all kinds and it is great on pet stains etc.

I was determined to make this work even though I had read several other people had problems with it. DO NOT try this. I even added citrus to the mix like I had read about. It left a thick white powder on my glasses and especially on my utensils. I did use the vinegar rinse agent and still do. Vinegar is awesome. However, it took several hand washings to get my utensils completely clean. Please do not try this. You will regret it. I do make my own laundry powders and am extremely happy with it and also use vinegar in place of softener.

I have found that most homemade dishwasher "detergents" only work well if you have soft water. I don't, so I buy environmentaly friendly detergent. It's still not quite as good so you have to rinse your dishes really well before you put them in the dishwasher. They are working on improving them, but they aren't quite there yet. Good luck.

I don't know of anyone having success with a homemade dishwasher detergent. But I do know of a product that has no phosphates or bleach, and is so safe around children that it does not have to have a child-proof cap. It is made by Melaleuca and it's the best that I've ever used. No streaks at all, no white residue - and w/o adding a rinse agent. Plus, you only use a 1/4 of the amount of other brands. Of all the Melaleuca products that I use in my home, I think I was most impressed with this one.

P.
What I use is not homemade and it is chemical free and phosphate free and leaves no residue on your dishes. It is 100% money back guarenteed and my passion is to get all the chemicals out of your home. All my products come from Shaklee and I have been extremely satisfied. Most of all I have NO worries about chemicals in my home. Good Luck ... S.

I think that if you have to buy all those ingredients to make the stuff in the first place you might as well buy dish detergent! I do like the advice on using vinegar as a rinse though, I'll have to try that!

Hi P.,

I don't have any advise for the dishwashing soap I just wanted to say hi to someone that is in the same boat as me, I'm 46 with one son that is 5..........I work full time as well........I haven't been married that long though...lol

Cathy

1 / 3