Does Fenugreek (Herb/pills) Work for Breasfeeding?

I really need to boost my milk production - because my 1 month old is a big eater and I cannot keep up. I read that Fenugreek is one of the world's oldest medicinal herbs. It has a variety of uses, including increasing breastmilk production. Does anyone have experience with this herb it is available in a pill form (ground seeds placed in capsules) at GNC, health food stores. I would really appreciate any responses/advice on this and any other way to boost milk production. I use an electric pump to help also. Thank you very much.

Fenugreek works!! I took it and within a few days my boobs were engorged and leaking and I had to pump to keep up. I reccommend it, that and oatmeal!

Hi Grace!

I have a 10 week old, and my son never latched on so I was having to pump and at the same time deal with not producing much milk to keep up with my big eater. I bought the Fenugreek and it worked well for me. I only took 2 a day. I also bought the Mother's Milk Tea and drank that everyday. I got both of them at a health food store here in Wichita.

Good luck!!!

hI gRACE,
I did use Fenugreek and I thought it worked well. I soaked the seeds in hot water and drank it like a tea. Another supplement I used was hops-I used this in the pill form because the dried herb as a tea tastes really nasty. But anyway I used both of those and I never had any problems. Hope this helps. Good luck, J.

The health food store has a tea that I think is called Mother's milk and it promotes production. I think it has Fenugreek in it and that way, you would know it's in a safe amount to take. Also, I don't know how often you nurse, but if you don't feel like he's getting enough, move up the nursings to every 1 1/2 or 2 hours and drink plenty of water. This will also increase your milk production and doesn't take long to work. My first little one is a BIG eater and she was hard to nurse at first, but I stuck with it and it was SO worth it. If you are determined to breastfeed (which I was), I wouldn't recommend supplementing b/c it slows down production. Anyways, hope this helps. Be encouraged and stick with it - it's worth it! :)

Hi. I had great success with that for a while, then my supply went down. I had to get on Reglan which helped, but it made me really tired. There are risks with that too...being that if you just quit taking abruptly, your milk supply will be affected.
You might also look into how your supply is affected by your menstral cycle. Some women experience a drop in supply due to the levels of calcium and magnesium decreasing in their blood. A simply dietary supplement is all it takes to get back on track in that situation.

Grace, fengreek worked a miracle for me this time around (I didn't need it for my first child, but my new daughter wasn't gaining enough in the beginning). Usually you take it for a few weeks for a boost and then can wean off, but some women need it longer. You can get it locally at Kangaroo Kids, but I found it much more economical to order online at vitacost.com. It might be available at other local stores, but I never checked.

I wish you the best!
Please feel free to email me if you have any other questions -- ____@____.com

Fenugreek is shown to work to boost breastmilk. But it may not work for everyone. I needed to boost my supply when I was b/f, but I just began drinking even more water (which is recommended), and I had a bowl of oatmeal everyday. I liked the maple brown sugar flavor the most so I stuck with that. Funny thing is that a lot of maple syrup is flavored by the fenugreek herb.

I did this as well as increased the number of times I pumped.

hI gRACE,

When I was trying to breastfeed my daughter I unfortunately couldn't make any milk at all. So after seeking the help of a lactation consultant, she suggested that I use fenugreek and blessed thistle at the same time. I tried both, but had no luck. My cousin however swears by fenugreek. She said that she was able to find fenugreek that you actually would hold under your tongue that worked wonders for her. She says that the stonger the herb the better. Hope this helps and good luck!!!

hi grace,

yes fenugreek really does work. i had to take it when i was breastfeeding my daughter because i got sick and my milk supply when down. i took it for about three or four days and it really came back. you can buy it pill form at the health food store and it is not very expensive. also i have heard that mothers milk tea also work but i have never tried it. hope it works.

N.

1 / 3