Does Dr Push on Your Stomach After Delivery? What Do You Think of These Products

i remember with my two girls that the dr and nurses would push on my stomach after delivery. It is one of the most painful parts of the delivery. i know it is to help your uterus contract down. Does your dr. do this to you and is it painful for you? Also I am going to throw these questions in as well. Has anyone ever tried the following products: stick on washable breast feeding pads from motherhood, the little teepees for baby boys from motherhood, or the snugglies (I think this is the name) that you can carry your baby in? Do you like or dislike any of these products? What is your favorite kind of baby carrier (Brand, sling, carrier, ect.)?

Thanks for all of the great comments. I remember with my girls that labor/delivery was OK but the pushing on my stomach was painful. I am dreading this. Last time I wanted to hit the Dr or grab his hands or something. Also thanks a whole lot on the products. I know better on the things I want to buy.

Someone bought us the teepees as a shower gift, and I have never used them. Maybe some boys wee on the changing table, but mine hasn't yet and he is 11 months old! Congrats on you baby boy, you are in for a treat!

I dont remember much from delivery so I dont remember about the doctor pushing on my stomach.

I loved the Snugglie. My daughter lived in hers. You could adjust it to distribute the weight of the baby ( granted my little girl was a light weight) We used it all three stages and she seemed to like it.

With my 1st I had Baby Bjorn, with my 2nd & 3rd I had the Sling now I have the Moby Wrap. Moby Wrap is my absolute favorite!

My baby was born Dec 23 last year - that's cool you'll have a Christmas baby too. No, pushing on your stomach is not necessary. Breastfeeding just after birth helps contract the uterus. (Even the baby just nuzzling helps.) Maybe one reason this is common is because the drugs used in labor slow down the body's reflexes. If you do have issues with hemorrhaging, then pushing on it or Pitocin would be appropriate. Let's see...your other questions - no, I haven't tried those products. As for baby carriers, I've tried a mei tei and a wrap. Like someone else said, La Leche is a great place to try on and learn how to use different styles. They have a little learning curve. I made my own mei tei by copying one from La Leche, and I bought a used Wrap n' Wear wrap.

Yes, I remember the stomache pushing thing and it hurting but it didn't last long.
As far as the products go, I'm not sure what the maternity pads are. Are they nursing pads or a post delivery pad, or maybe something else? If they're post delivery, I used depends for the first couple of weeks. Sounds weird, but worked great and I didn't ruin any clothes.
The teepees sound like a great idea, but I've never used them ; I have two girls.
The Snugli I have used and I prefered the Baby Bjorn so, so much more. The Snugli is a lot cheaper, but it feels that way, too, and even when my oldest was a newborn, I could only wear it for a few minutes before my back was killing me. The Baby Bjorn had a lot mor support for my baby as well as me. Much better product in my opinion and worth the extra money.

I loved our front carrier/backpack Snugli. It's a little more (mine was $30 at WalMart) than the regular front carrier, but we used it a lot longer than we could have used a front carrier. In fact, we used it on our backs more than in front of us! Of course, our boys could sit up earlier than most (they have to be able to sit up to ride on your back) and they were also pretty heavy, so they would have outgrown the weight limit on the front packs pretty early. The back pack is a lot more comfy, too, than carrying 20 pounds on your chest.
Another great thing is that you can get some work done when the baby just won't settle down or let you put him down. You can't do dishes or cook dinner or mop with a front carrier. They get wet, burned or impossibly heavy, respectively.
I saw those pee pee teepees online and had a good laugh. I thought that maybe I'd try to make one out of a "lap pad" if we ever have another boy. But in reality, I have only been hosed a few times (probably 5-6) by my two boys, total. I usually have a cloth diaper (we use them for burp cloths) or wash cloth nearby, or I just stop the spray with my hand (grosser things have happened) to direct it to the lap pad I keep on the changing table.
I had washable breast pads and they were great. I never had stick-on. When I broke down and bought disposable pads, I thought I was in heaven, though! They're so thin, and much easier to take along in the diaper bag. I still used the washables when I was home, though. And the soft, padded fabric ones (washable) were invaluable for padding and protecting sore nipples.

I don't remember if they pushed on my stomach after delivery but I had an epidural so even if it hurt I couldn't feel it.

My favorite breast pads are the Lansinoh ones and they are disposable. Don't get the Johnson & Johnson ones, they stick to your nipple and your baby will get lint all over his lips.

The Snugglies front carry pack we tried and the plastic clips that are on the side to hold the baby in came undone several times aqnd my baby almost fell out. This wasn't from user error. I have 4 children and checked the device as well as the instructions many times to make sure. It seems as though the clasps were just a little too flexible and just popped loose.

As far as the pushing on the stomach thing I have had that all four times and the with different Dr.s is was different. It was uncomfortable every time but some physicians were more gentle than others.

I used tee pees, they just fall off, and after a while baby learns not to pee during diaper changes, at least mine did when I let out a little "Aaaah!" Instant flow stopper.

No one ever pushed on my belly but they told me to massage it to make it go down. It is your body so if you really don't want them to do that talk about it before delivery. Good luck.

A - I've read the other request and you've got great advice. We really liked our Bjorn that we got off of e-bay. I didn't want to spend a ton on a new one and the one we got was in great condition.

My nurse on the delivery of my last baby was really rough and it hurt more than any other. I screamed even though I didn't mean to. My midwife said that when they push, they should support the bottom of the uterus with their other hand and knead it gently. She had stepped out of the room but said that nurses are being trained by other nurses on this instead of at medical school and aren't doing it right. It is actually possible to do some damage. Just FYI and tell them to take it easy. You are in charge. It is necessary to get the clotting going but I was sore where she pushed for almost a month and thought she had dislodged an ovary or something which I don't think is possible.

1 / 3