Does Dishwasher Does Sterilization?

Hi all,
My friend says that she doesn't sterilize her 1 yr old baby's bottles anymore...the reason she gives is not because she is grown but because, she says, she put her bottlse in the dishwasher and steam of it during the drying process kills all the bacteria and does the same sterilization...What do u think?

I never really sterilized bottles (at any age). My kids both started getting a bottle from daddy at 3 weeks so they would take breastmilk when I went back to work. Maybe once a week I boiled breast pump parts and every month or so boiled bottles and parts. I don't have a dishwasher so wash everything in hot, soapy water. There is no need to sterilize on top of using a dishwasher, and generally hand-washing is going to be just fine.

Every other dish you eat off of gets clean enough in the dish washer... if you feed her off of a spoon, from a bowl, etc. let her drink from regular cups, why wouldn't you think it's good enough for washing bottles?

I NEVER used a sterilizer (but I used drop-ins so most of the bottle got thrown in recycling).

I never sterilized bottles even one time.. they went in the dishwasher.

There is no reason to sterilize bottles for normal healthy babies..If the child has some major health issue they might need some special treatment. but heck by the time a kid is 11 month old he is crawlig and walking and down on the floor eating dirt..

If the water gets hot enough it's fine. I never sterilized my baby's bottles anyway, no matter how old the baby was. Hot water & soap like the rest of my dishes was just fine.

I used the dishwasher too adn had all confidence that it cleaned and sterlized the bottles just fine. Just make sure that your dishwasher water is hot enough. The time that you save with the dishwasher can be time put to spend with your baby. Just give it a try. If you don't be comfortable, then continue washing them. ----M.

There are loads of places where people still sterilize their bottles. I am Australian and when my first daughter was born I didn't always sterilize the bottles and my aussie mum thought I was crazy. She would wait till I left the room and do it...lol. I think the dishwasher is fine especially if you have the water good and hot. To appease my mother I did it for a while but I wouldn't bother after the first few months anyway because you want your baby to have a good strong immune system. Your friends one year old definitely doesn't need sterilized bottles.

Yes, the dishwasher counts as sterilzation. Also, one year olds don't need their bottles sterilized. Sterilization is really a thing of the past. Even when I had my 15 year old, the pediatrician said it was not necessary to sterilize but I wasn't comfortable with that and sterilized pump parts, bottles, etc for the first few months.

you only really need to sterilize your nipples and bottles the first time you use them. after that any dishwasher will do.

1 / 3