Does Crisco 'Go Bad'?

I just used some Crisco and my pumpkin bread is already in the oven (my house smells sooooo good!), but I just realized the 'best if used by' date was in 2011... like.... March 2011... (oops)... is that bad?

Or will it be okay this one time? I've already tossed the rest... that stuff lasts forEVER!

@K, mine definitely did NOT look or smell like that, LOL, so I guess this is okay this one time ;)

If it still looks and smells normal, it's probably fine. 'best if used by' isn't a hard and fast expiration date. Taste a slice. If it tastes normal, it's fine to eat. Rancid food won't fool you, it'll be nasty!

That being said, I don't use Crisco (or anything else that processed that it lasts for years unrefrigerated) so I don't have personal experience with old Crisco.

I had crisco I didnt use for several years and it just sat in the back of the cabinet. When I did need some, I pulled it out and opened the can. It had turned clear, with yellow edges, and smelled like rancid oil. So YES it will go bad. But it might take longer than the expire date.

Crisco CAN go bad. If it is not stored properly, it will smell rank and look more beige than white.

When you open it - you will SMELL that it's bad. SO if it didn't smell bad? you are good!!

i'll bet it's fine. it does go bad eventually, but they tend to be (correctly) conservative about the date. if it didn't look or smell funky, you're golden. enjoy your pumpkin bread!
:) khairete

Yes-it does have a long shelf life-and an expiration date-lasts longer if kept in the fridge.

YES it does!! I'm speaking from experience. I was in a rush to bake a dessert for a potluck lunch and made some brownies with an old can of Crisco. I failed to taste them before setting them out, when I later tried one...it was so awful (rancid). I quickly snuck them out.

It does not keep forever but you can tell when it goes bad. The smell is awful and it is no longer that pretty white color, it kind of looks like it is becoming clear.

I hope it lasts forever because i have some in my cabinet probably older than yours. Oops.

1 / 3