Does Cow's Milk Affect Behavior?

Does anyone have experience with cow's milk affecting behavior? I have two year old twins and and 9 month old. When they were babies they had inexplicable rashes. This occurred after I supplemented with formula at about 6 months. My 9 month old now has a rash which coincides with switching from breastfeeding to formula(they look like heat rashes). I switched from milk to almond milk for my twins and I swear their behavior has dramatically improved. Could this be a coincidence since they are almost three and have finally adjusted to a new brother or an allergy? I don't want to go through the same issues with my younger one. My pediatrician hasn't been too supportive of my concerns. Any thoughts or similar experiences? By the way, my baby is on formula not almond milk.

Hi - I defintely can tell you first hand that Dairy products affect behavior. My Daughter is 6 years old and as of last summer she was eating dairy...she was also having temper tantrums beyond words, constipation and allergies...runny nose etc. Last summer, after much aggravation and tantrums, my (3) kids no longer eat any dairy products...It was hard at first, but I saw results immediately. My 10 year old son has not had any colds, asthma, or bronchitis for a year and is off his allergy medicine. My 12 year old son who had constipation problems since he was born - no longer has problems. I too went off dairy and lost 30 pounds. Go to www.notdairy.com and look at some of the side effects and diseases associated with eating dairy. It is something else. America will catch on soon enough. My Pediatrian did not agree either because of his concern about calcium intake but I saw results right away and did the research I needed to find out what foods were rich in it and supplements that had calcium. The first they do when a woman has breast cancer is take her off dairy...interesting isn't it. Any good Herbalist will support you. Good luck to you and just know that milk is a 4 letter word! Peace - K. H.

I salute you, G., for even bringing this up! Your babies chose WELL!

Check out www.realmilk.org. Also The Westin Price Foundation at: www.westonaprice.org. The most complete truth about milk is there.

Avoid any soy, except for Sunrider Foods. Period.

Seitan, tempeh, likely acceptable. Be very diligent about soy products for ALL FAMILY MEMBERS.

Got Almond milk?

Obtain raw almonds from a farmer's market ONLY. (Ask the grower if they "pasteurize" their "raw" almonds. He'll know what I mean...) "Raw" Almonds sold in a commercial store like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's must go through this process of chemical "pasteurization". It is a chemical that is known to cause cancer. YOU DO NOT WANT THESE ALMONDS.

Take a handful of the real, raw, farmer's market almonds(which you store in the fridge). Soak overnight in pure water. In the morning, drain off the water. Add one to one and a half cups of pure water to the almonds in a blender. Add two dates (remove the pits or your blender will be unhappy) Two tablespoons of grade B maple syrup will work as well, and blend away. Pour into glasses or use as the nutritious base for your morning smoothies. It is OUTRAGEOUS! See how your body feels! Watch your kids' expressions!

Soaked almonds have released the enzyme inhibitor which is imperative for proper digestion of this protein powerhouse. That original nut, when soaked, becomes a plant, which the body LOVES! It has also become 400-600% more nutritious!

If, in your studies you learn that raw goat's milk is an important foundation to your childrens' nutrition and regenerative process, our community has a wonderful source. The human body absorbs raw goat milk in TWENTY MINUTES versus TWENTY HOURS for cow milk! Our proteins are quite similar.

Rock on, you cool and with it Mum!

With much love,

It certainly does and it is poison! Pls read Dr Samuel Epstein's book ON GENETICALLY ENGINEERED (rBGH) MILK
What's In Your Milk? (2006) Then go to www.1000moms1000dollars.com/4health for "safest personal care products in the world" because there are hormone & behavioral disruptors in personal care products as well.

Hi G.,

Cow's milk can definitely be related to the symptoms you describe, and for more than one reason. First, once milk is pasteurized, it loses the very enzyme our bodies need to digest it. It thus becomes a "toxin" which, over a long term, can bring on symptoms like rashes, sinus congestion, exacerbating asthma, etc. Second, as some of the other moms have mentioned, commercially farmed cow's milk probably contains hormones and antibiotics, which is the last thing nature intended for a baby and which can have cumulative unknown health consequences later in life.

One of my patients, who grew up on a dairy farm herself, buys fresh goat milk from a source in Valley Center. The secret to good-tasting goat milk, she claims, is to keep the male goats separate from the females! Worth looking into, as goat milk is reputed to be more bioavailable than cow's milk to begin with. I can get the farm's phone number for you if you'd like.

And, not all soy milk is unwholesome. You just need to make sure it's unsweetened and non-GMO; WestSoy and a few other brands have these features, so check it out at your local Jimbo's.

Best wishes,

S. I., L.Ac.
Lotus Wellspring Healthcare
456 E. Mission Road, Suite 100
San Marcos, CA 92069
###-###-####
www.lotuswellspring.com

I don't know that cow's milk would affect behavoir, but I definately know that the rash-like thing could be an allergy. When my daughter was 9 months when we had to start with formula since I had dried up. She soon started with the runny nose, chest congestion, rashes on the inside of her elbows and knees, and coughing A LOT. My Dr. insisted that she was too young for allergic reactions and said it was nothing. I transitioned her to milk (around 13 months)and it worsened. Finally around 18 months, I said screw this Dr and switched her to Soy milk and within 4 days she was 90% better. It was amazing...now I know better and will not make the same mistake with my son! :) Good luck!

If you're children have a mild lactose intolerance they could have had upset tummies alot, but not really have known how to express it since it was common. Not to be gross, but do they have less gas now? Alot of times lactose intolerance creates more gas. Mild chronic pain certainly makes alot of people cranky.

Otherwise, I would just say that you will notice that behaviours will flip like switches about every 6 months. It's more noticeable with twins I think, b/c it is compounded.

I'm not clear on your reason for switching them to almond milk, but in case you aren't aware, just a note of caution regarding the brand you choose:

You want to make sure they are getting enough calcium and vitamin D. You also want to see what type of sugar (if any) is added. Alot of brands add processed sugar which is REALLY bad for teeth in young children and can negatively impact behaviour and the immune system.

Hi G., Sorry your pediatrician has not been to suppoetive of your concerns, honestly as a mom, I don't personally believe foods affect a childs behavior, my 3 grown kids grew up on milk, form 1 year to this day, no problems. I do know babies and toddles do get heat rashes. There maybe something in almond milk, this is the first time I have ever heard of almond milk, but if it gives your kids the same nuetrician or better then use almond milk. about 1 year ago we switched to organic milk, and that's what I give my daycare kids, it's a little more expensive but it's healthier. J.

I'm so glad you brought this up. When my daughter had a sinus infection, the antibiotics made her sick whenever she would take milk products. After a week of being off the dairy, we noticed a wonderful change in her attitude/behaviors. Since then, everytime we try to reintroduce milk, she gets hyper/moody. We finally gave up and went milk-free.

1 / 3