Does Anyone Know of Craniosacral or Chiropractor for Torticollis?

My 8 month old son has torticollis (wry neck), which has led to developmental delays (he's just starting to roll over and sit up now). It's been stressful and I'm very worried. We're going to put him in a Cranio cap (helmet) this week for the flat spot on the back of his head. We have a physical therapist and occupational therapist working with him, each once a week and we're doing the stretches every day. I've heard that craniosacral massage or a pediatric chiropractor can have very beneficial results. If you've had experience with torticollis, could you share the therapy, duration, and outcome? PLEASE share any recommendations for craniosacral therapists or pediatric chiropractors in the Woodbury, St Paul, Minneapolis area. Thank you!

I've worked in chiropractic for a long time, and I've seen it help babies in as little as two months, some almost six months. I love craniosacral therapy and it helped my daughter after a horrible car accident. I think the pediatric chiropractors association is called the ICPA, they will have a list of doctors in your area who specialize in working with children. If there is none, any chiropractor who works with children should be fine. My kids have been adjusted by many doctors, none of whom are pediatric certified.

Updated

Updated

well I don't know about the craniosacral massage but my mom is a PTA and she worked with a PT who specializes in torticollis. She just says that the helmet will help and the physical and occupational therapy is probably the best you can be doing for him. It can take time for his neck to get better but it will. Some babies need treatment for months and months so it can be a slow process. As long as you are seeing results then you are doing all you can do right now.

I don't have any specific recommendations of therapists or chiropractors, but can share our experience. My son had torticollis and went to therapy initially 3 times per week starting at about 2 months. We also did therapy with him at home, stretching, massage and encouraging movement of his neck with toys/ activities. He went to therapy until he was about 1 and we continued with home therapy until about 1 1/2. He was also delayed in his physical milestones; about 4-5 mon for rolling over, walking at almost 18 mon. It was stressful at the time; juggling appts and working the home therapy into our schedule in addition to just the general care of him and his older brother and the younger brother that came along 20 mon later, but he has no lasting affects from torticollis at all. He is now 8, and no physical or academic issues.

My daughter had Torticollis and plagiocephaly too. We went thru the physical therapy at Gilette Childrens and by 1 she still had a little bit of a tilt but it was resolved shortly after. I purchased a "peanut ball" for home use and seemed to have good results when used with the stretches they taught me to do every day. My daughter didn't have to get the cap but I always loved when people decorated them as little sports helmets. Always made me smile.

Although I do not have specific recommendations for pediatric chiropractors, my son was helped immensely by a chiro for torticollis. Choose a chiro who also incorporates massage - your baby will be more amenable to the treatments if he is comfortable.

I have worked with Channing Mackinley. She practices out of Blooma in Edina and also has an office in St. Paul. While she did not treat my son for torticollis, she did some craniosacral and chiropractic care on my then four month old for other issues and we had a very good experience with her. She specializes in pregnant women and babies. Good luck!

1 / 3