Does Anyone Have Info on Reoccuring Croup?

My 3 year old son has been experiencing Croup since the last Fall and Winter season. Everytime I take him to the doctor they give him an inhaler and I use a cold mist humidifier for him at night. The barking usually goes on at night but when he wakes up in the morning to get ready for school it's hardly heard. I say it's reoccuring because he'll get it for a week and then it goes away for a week. Then he'll get it again the next month for two weeks and then it will go away again. It always happens when the weather is really cold 22-32 degrees one day then the next day the weather is in the 50's and 60's. I understand that this is a viral infection, so why am I not getting anything to get rid of the viral infection?

It was Asthma!! He had to get breathing treatments and an inhaler. I also got the herbal medication someone suggested. The herbal medicine I got helped alot. I gave him an herb called Oregano. Not the kind we use to cook. It's one you have to get from a herbal store or online. It cleared up most of the phlelm. I also have him taking an herb called Mullien. His new doctor (which is the one that finally figured out his problem) has him taking Singular. He still has some bouts of coughing but he's doing much better. Thank you all for your help and sorry it took me a while to let you know how he is doing!! God bless!!

Just fyi... doctor's prescribe antibiotics for bacterial infections. if it is a viral infection, antibiotics won't work. viral infections are treated for symptom relief, and that's all you can do.
you could try something that boosts his immune system, or try homeopathic treatments. i have had good success with those, and they are entirely safe. ask someone at a natural food store to help you.

Whatever you do, DON'T give him cough medicine. Our 6-year old son, Evan, passed away in May due to cough medicine. His liver was not able to metabolize the medicine. Common in 20% of children.

Have you tried taking him to an Allergy and Asthma Specialist? My son kept getting recurring sinus infections and coughs, and I mean recurring by that he seemed to have one about a week after he woudl go off antibiotics, if the drugs even worked in the first place. The last straw for me was when I took him to the ER when he was 11 months old with a fever of 105.3 and the ER doc told me that it was another sinus infection and gave him an antibiotic shot, after I refused to let him do a spinal tap on my son to check for meningitis. I only refused the spinal tap because the symptoms that my son was showing was not meningitis and the doc's reasoning for wanting to do the spinal didn't make sense to me, although I will admit that I am not a doctor, it was a weird situation that you would have had to have been there to understand my logic. Anyway, the ER doc said that if he was having the reoccuring infections then I should look into having tubes put in his ears. He already had tubes, that were inserted when he was 6 months old due to constant ear infections that could not be cured with anything. When I told him this, he suggested having his adenoids removed. Well, I took my son back to the ENT and he said that my son's adenoids appeared to be fine, but after a little conversation and getting some background medical information, he suggested that I take him to an allergist to see if I could reduce his exposure to whatever his was allergic to, which my son already had 2 known allergens. I was so thrilled that I took him to the allergist, I found that my son had asthma, not a major case of it, but he had asthma. After 1 week of the nebulizer and preventative asthma medicine, he was my happy baby again and has only had 1 sinus infection and 1 cold since, and he is now 18-1/2 months old. I was told by the allergist that my son's asthma and allergies were causing excess mucus build up which was causing the deep chest coughing (and sometimes bronchitis) and sinus infections. Good luck and I hope this helps.

C.,
Has your son ever been tested for Astma? Or maybe allergies?
My so is 8 and at night is when we have problems with his asthma. Its not everynight but it happens around 2-3 Am most of the time. To be honest it does sound a little like croup.
I hope this helps
www.youravon.com/kstaab

I did a google search on "recurrent croup" and a few things came up that suggest possible abnormalities in the trachea to acid reflux. It's possible that it's not actually croup but that when he comes down with a cold he gets "croupy" due to something else going on. I would suggest following up with a specialist such as a pediatric pulmonologist or ENT to get to the root of the problem.
http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/25bd02.htm
This was one site that mentioned recurrent croup.

My now 5 year old had it or some variation of throat problem every 2 months for his first few years, until we had his tonsils out. You said he gets it when it is cold outside, try taking him outside for a moment then come back in, or hold him in front of the open freezer door, if this clears the coughing it is croup. If not, prob not croup. Croup is also not treated with an inhaler. If the inhaler is a steroid that is better but be sure to have him rinse his mouth out really good. Asthma sounds more likely. Good luck to you!

My 3yo son had croup twice within a short period of time. His ped said that if he had it again within a 12 month period they would consider it to be something other than viral croup. I can't remember the exact terminology, but basically they would start to suspect something along the lines of asthma and would do the necessary testing to determine if that was the cause. Oh, I think it was something like spasmotic croup (not sure if I spelled that correctly) instead of viral croup. He never did have croup again, so we didn't have to worry about it. If your ped doesn't seem concerned, I would either demand some further testing or get a second opinion.

Sorry if anyone may have pointed this out, but I just had a quick minute to type in here this morning.

Personally after several years I was able to kick the "I get a cold every winter and it's lasts until Spring" mentality myself, but THIS year for whatever the reason may be I too have had this annoying "reoccuring" crud now as an adult. I identified some of the environmentals in my current life stance, I looked into the nutritional choices I have changed and /or added to my life recently, and then yes, I AM older, soo thus working out and taking care of my body is a huge deal of course.

However, all that being said, I have done a ton of research into not just Milk, and all the phlegm that it causes, but yes; Sodas, and the effects of sugar, and carbs that break down into sugars in our bodies. I was amazed to have discovered low and behold that this is such a HUGE deal when it comes to "cluttering up" or "creating congestion" in our bodies! Then Also from an environment stance, "clean out all the clutter" ... do some Spring cleaning and Decluttering of things and situations in your life and one will be amazed...How this can effect YOU as Mom, and then the trickle down effect YOUR "centeredness" can have on the kiddos. Not that we are to blame, that is not what I said, but that our emotional/environmental responses to stress/ and just life in general plays huge into the healthiness of our kids.

As for the kiddos, once we did this for myself and them, THEY are Croup Free, and clutter free to boot! 2 weeks! I kid you not! Course I did go completely overboard so that may not be for everyone, but I was so sick and tired of being sick and tired and everyone just passin this gunk around...That is just what worked for us.
No more chips, crackers, flour products like cookies and sweets; except the occassional cheetos :O). No more sodas (we had slipped into a rut),No more juices unless freshly juiced, upped our water intake, waaaay more protein ( mainly from egg whites / & Peanut Butter for my youngest age 4) and cleaned out all the clutter in my house and took a huge load to charity. AND without a doubt No more Milk unless "in" something we make. My youngest doesn't still eat alot of good meat/protein, but will eat broccoli, and sausage, pepporoni, lunch meat, so keeping that on a low basis, because of the salt / nitrates, but ...When it comes to kids really, alot can be cured really by diet , getting them out and about in the SUN/Vit D whenever possible,Get them hooked on fresh fruits and uncooked veggies ... and cut out the over use of any antibiotics if you can feel safe with that... and since my husband is a chiropractor, we up the use of this treatment as well.

Finally, we got it up and out of here, and we are healthier having kicked some of those bad habits. My home is clean :O). It was a huge wake up call for Mom, let me tell you . And to think "I" was the problem allowing all that gunk in my home in the first place after having given it all up for myself so long ago. Not anymore! Oh, and I would also suggest looking into having your duct work in your home vaccuumed out by a professional... this was sooo cool, and a huge deal in our clean air envirnment. You would be shocked at what is in there ...even in a new home! Find out more about this online...

Take Care, HTH!
Be Blessed!@

1 / 3