Does Anyone Have a Second Grader with an "Invention" Project for School?

Hi all,

My daughter is studying "inventors" in school and has to put together an 'invention' of sorts. This is a second grade project, what do you think we should do? I've considered helping her to make a 'bird feeder' out of a milk jug, but she's not to crazy about the idea. Oh, and she has to hand it in by Mar. 17! Does anyone have any more clever/simple ideas? I'm not a very creative person:).

Sorry, I haven't been able to keep up with these, you're ALL so supportive - I am so grateful! We stuck with the planter, bird-feeder idea (did I tell you?). Well, Mariah had dreamed that up before I had asked - I thought that would be considered too easy...Mike said, she's only in 2nd grade:)! Well, she already had a Planter (Wooden-w/nails & all) that she made at a Home Depot event for kids some time ago. She used some of her brothers Model-paint to decorate it. It includes a small planter and what she thought up was that it is functional in two different ways. It's either a Starter-Planter or it can be used as a bird-feeder if you put the drain plate in the top of the Planter. It fits very well in this particular planter & is removable so she can transfer it creating a shallow spot for bird seed. Sound good?

What about inventing a board game or any game? Something she could show the othe students how to play:)

My daughter had to do one of those. She did hers all by herself. It was a chores robot. Her robot would do all the house work for you including tutoring. She made it out of cardboard and tissue paper. Let her think of something she might like to invent. I asked my daughter what she thought she could make that would be useful to people. When I reminded her later she had to do her chores she came up with the idea.

As a fourth grade teacher, I had the students write of and illustrate an invention of theirs. It could be an improvement on an existing invention or something new all of their own. We talked about Edison learning that unless an invention is marketable, there is no reason to invent it.
One of my students loved his mother like crazy! She was disabled in a wheelchair, so he wanted to invent a way for her to keep the shower clean so he would not have to scrub it anymore. The machine hung from the shower head, and had a button and spray nozzle. After showering, you hit the button and listen to the beeps ticking off how many seconds you have to get out of the shower before the cleaner would spray all over the shower. The kid, Derrick, asked me, "If you ever saw this on the shelf at the store, is it something you would buy?" I told him, "Of course I would! I need that product now!" Well, a few years ago, I was in the store, and there was the product! I had to buy it! It works great!

Does your daughter need to draw and explain it or make a model or have it actually work? Whatever you do, don't gripe about it to her! Her teacher will love whatever she comes up with!! I saw a lot of "sock sorters" made from toilet paper tubes in shoe boxes, etc. that did not excite the kids in the least. Allow her to dream up something outrageous. Help her define it and explain how it needs to "work". Then help her make a model of it or draw it. Have fun! Kids have great ideas they get excited about when they know their thoughts are valued. Glad to see you participating in your child's education! Looking forward to using her invention someday!

Try the Lemon Battery!

You will need:
2 lemons
3 copper wires
2 large paper clips
2 pennies
a digital clock
scissors
knife

Instructions:
First, attach one of the paperclips to a wire.
Then attach a penny to a second wire.
Attach another penny to one end of the third wire, and a paperclip to the other end.
Squeeze and roll two lemons to loosen the pulp inside.
Make two small cuts in the skins of both lemons an inch or so apart.
Put the paper clip that is attached to the wire and the penny into one of the cuts until you get to the juicy part of the lemon.
Stick the penny into a hole in the other lemon.
Put the other paper clip into the second hole of the lemon with the penny.
Then put the last penny into the last open hole.
Connect the free ends of the wires to the terminals of the digital clock.
Watch how the lemons make enough electricity to turn the clock on. If you've hooked everything up and the clock isn't running, try switching the wires.
Here's how this lemon battery works. There's a chemical reaction between the steel in the paper clip and the lemon juice. There's also a chemical reaction between the copper in the penny and the lemon juice. These two chemical reactions push electrons through the wires.
Because the two metals are different, the electrons get pushed harder in one direction than the other. If the metals were the same, the push would be equal and no electrons would flow. The electrons flow in one direction around in a circle and then come back to the lemon battery. While they flow through the clock, they make it work. This flow is called electric current.
This is hard to understand. So, if you need it explained to you again, be sure to talk to a parent or a teacher.

I got these instructions at http://pbskids.org/zoom/activities/sci/lemonbattery.html

Since you suggested a bird feeder for outside maybe she would enjoy making a squirrel playground. Use the birdfeeder/squirrel feeder to attract but incorporate obstacles for the squirels to overcome before he can get at the food.

My son made in scouts a bird feeder. You take a pine cone, rub peanut butter all over it and roll it in bird seed. Then you tie a really long string on it and you can hang it from a tree. The boys really enjoyed it and it was pretty easy.

The bird feeder jogged my memory (I have teenagers now!). I remember a girl in elementary school doing an "invention" and the bird feeder was on a post...to keep the squirrels from climbing up the post (it was metal)it was covered with vaseline/crisco/or something. Good Luck

What is your daughter interested in? I teach a science class at the YMCA and have tons of projects...does this need to be something she invents on her own, something she can do on her own....I am not sure what you need exactly.
A.

An invention would be something that makes life easier- I have permanent nerve damage in my hands- so I use pipe insulation over the handles of my hairbrush and cooking spoons to make them easier to hold. What invention could make life easier at you're house?

1 / 3