Does Anyone Else Not Have a Hobby?

My birthday is coming up this month. My husband asked me the other day what I wanted for my birthday and Christmas. I said I would like to take a photography class, a pregnancy yoga class or get some new comfy clothes. He said, That’s it? People are asking what to get you. I said, well, gift cards are always good. Then last night he said he’s having a hard time telling people what to get me. Then he says, You don’t have any hobbies. What are you interested in? You really need to find something you like to do. I joked and said, I like to shop! He was straight faced, it was obvious he was serious. It actually hurt my feelings but he’s right. I don’t have a hobby. There are things I would like to do like the photography class or pregnancy yoga I mentioned but we have three kids and one on the way. I don’t exactly have a ton of time to do anything I want. Although I know I could take a class once a week while he’s home with the kids. My kids have been my life for the last 7 years when my daughter was born and prior to that I helped out a lot with my nieces and nephews. I’ve never focused on me. I don’t even know where to begin to do that.

So, this has me wanting to change that. Also, I’m wondering if I’m the only one without a hobby? If you have one, what do you like to do?

Photography is a hobby. Yoga is a hobby. And BOTH require "schtuff" / have things that go along with them.

Assuming digital photography:
- Memory cards
- Editing software
- Memory sticks
- Photo paper
- Lenses
- Flashes
- Books (both how-to type books as well as well as other people's works) / magazines
- Frames
- Mattes

Optional
- Museum tickets
- gallery showings
- etc

Yoga:
- Mats
- Clothes
- DVDs
- Class punch cards

But for myself : Photography, Snowboarding, Sailing, Horsebackriding, Travel.

I'm so glad you asked this-my husband and I just has the exact same conversation. My oldest is 7 and my twins are 1, so I can relate! I'm interested to see what other will answer since I don't have any hobbies either :)

My son, is 18 months. I am the type of person, where I HAVE to take part, in a hobby. There are so many woman out there, that love and want nothing else, then to be a mother. Some woman just don't have a desire, for hobbies. My mother, is like that. Her hobby was being a mom. Now her hobby, is being a grandmother. That's what makes her happy. I am not like that. If I don't have something separate to accomplish, something else to help define me, something else to give me a creative outlet...I just don't feel as happy and fulfilled, as I could. I really need to have a separate accomplishment, from my child. Where I am more then a mom. It doesn't mean I would rather have a hobby, then my child. Not even close! I I just simply can't spend my days as "mom" and nothing else. Lots of woman can and love to. It's just not me.

There is nothing wrong with not having a hobby, if you are content and fulfilled without one!! My hobbies are card making, jewelry making, and sewing. I also love photography. I'm fortunate, in coming from a family of photographers. There is no shortage of cameras and equipment! It is a very expensive hobby, but a very rewarding one.

I'm giggling! Right now you have a family and a home to take care of, and there are only 24 hours in a day (oh, you've noticed?).

A hobby is, by definition, a pursuit outside one's regular occupation, engaged in particularly for relaxation. So your hobby right now could be breathing!

Hobbies are great for other people to know about when gift-giving times come. That's probably the reason your husband brought it up.

Feel free to tell him that the closest thing to a pursuit for relaxation right now is your desire to learn more about photography, and as your children grow older you may want to pursue it more. Help him out (men NEED help in this!) by suggesting a couple of other gift ideas - maybe a pedicure? You know that sooner or later you won't be able to reach your feet. Think of some practical things that will make you happy. Assure him that in about ten years he'll probably be saying you have too many hobbies!

Assuming digital photography:
- Memory cards
- Editing software
- Memory sticks
- Photo paper
- Lenses
- Flashes
- Frames
- Mattes

Optional
- Museum tickets
- gallery showings
- etc

Yoga:
- Mats
- Clothes
- DVDs
- Class punch cards

Ask them to give you "coupons" for time away from the kids, so you can go and explore some hobbies (or just go walk the mall or go the Barnes & Nobles & read a book & have a coffee in peace. :) And/or, if anything strikes your fancy--for example, you always wanted to try rock climbing, ask them for a gift certificate to a rock climbing gym. If you need ideas for "crafts," take a look at the class schedules for JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, and/or Michael's, then check & see if gift cards for those stores can be applied to class fees, and ask for those.

I have lots of things that I'd love to have time to do, but right now, most of t is sitting in the closet, packed away.

If you count reading and going to the gym a hobby - yeah, I have one - LOL!
There is plenty of time for "hobbies" once your kids are older. I think photography is an excellent hobby and one that you and your family will benefit from greatly.
Give him ideas on the photography class, you will need a camera, different lenses, a tripod, case for camera,photo editing software (if digital) classes and maybe even coupon book for babysitting days to go out and take pictures, etc.
It is a pricy hobby and family members can get you gift cards to a local photo shop for equipment or even to ebay/amazon so you can get things online.
Congratulations on your pregnancy and yes, sometimes kids are all you can handle. Maybe explain that in a very kind way to your hubby:)

OMG! My BF hounds me all the time to get a hobby... in my eyes, hobbies cost money, and I'd rather spend that money on the family instead of on myself. It's not a bad thing to not really want anything for yourself ;) If people are dead set on getting something for you, ask them to donate to your favorite charity or put that money towards your kids college fund. If you truly want to take some kind of classes, you could always ask them to put money towards that. I'm the same way, every year, my parents ask what I would like for Christmas, and I always say 'money for the oil tank'... and I never get it ;) I'm more practical than materialistic! I can't help it. I would rather the mney be spent on the greater good (my family) than on myself...

My life is so jam-packed right now between working full time, taking care of two kids under the age of 4, and trying to get decent sleep that I really don't have many hobbies or things I do consider to be hobbies would not be what most people might think of as hobbies. About all I have time for is strength training and exercising as hobbies (what gift do you give for that? LOL) and *maybe* doing a jigsaw puzzle or Sudoku. About once a week I take my magazines to Corner Bakery or Panera and spend a few hours there, eating dinner and catching up on reading - I LOVE being alone and having this time for myself. Other than that, I don't do a whole lot and you know what? I'm okay with it - I feel fairly relaxed and am able to de-stress so it's all good!

So don't worry...you're not alone in not having some big spectacular hobby that sounds super cool :)

Nope, you're not the only one. If you count reading as a hobby, that's mine. It seems like when I do have spare time, that's what I most want to do. My other "hobby" would be meeting up with friends for lunch.

I think that not havng a hobby is okay - so don't sweat it!

1 / 3