Does Anyone Add Baking Soda to Their Laundry???

Someone had mentioned this to me and I was curious if any moms add baking soda to their laundry? Does it help with smells and keeping things brighter? How much do I add for a full load? thanks!

Yeah I am going to try the vinegar in the towels tomorrow, my huby puts wet towels into the hamper also. Thanks for the tips moms! And I used baking soda today in my hubby's undershirts, they don't stink! Yay!

I use baking soda in practiucally every load! I get the Arm and Hammer bag found in Wal-mart in the pool section. I know it works when it gets the "ship and fuel" smell out of my husbands work clothes! The back of the bag recommends 1 cup in a full load. I will use a 1/3 cup for a small load of children's/babies clothes and 2/3cup for medium loads.

I used to add baking soda and it worked well. My clothes were fresher and I didn't need dryer sheets. I use borax now and it does a better job of whitening my whites. For both I would use between a 1/4 and a half cup, depeneding upon the load size.

I use 3/4 to 1 cup for a full load. I dont know if the cloths are brighter but they smell better and it helps a lot with stains. My daughter has eczema so I cant use fabric softners or dryer sheets and sont seam to need to if I use the baking soda.
If you do this by it in bulk so save on cost.

I've never used baking soda, but I do use vinegar in with my towels once a month or so to get out any "sour" smell (my husband has a bad habit of putting wet towels in the hamper).

I have heard of this...in magazine articles and never tried it! however...I also put it in the bathtub to make our skin soft and help with boo boos! just a tip!

Good morning!
I add a big scoop right in the beginning just about every time. I buy those big Costco bags of Arm/Hammer soda and use at least 1/2 of the scoop that's inside. I'm not sure about 'brighter' but definitely can tell the clothes smell fresher. We use non scented/Earth friendly detergents and I can just tell the baking soda really helps freshen the clothes up. Give it a try!

I do from time to time. Depending on your washer you would want to add about 1 cup according to my box. Add it to the water so that it can disolve before you put the clothes in.

Another thing that I think works well, that I used for cloth diapers is borax. You can also buy washing soda, made by arm and hammer too.

i periodically add a cup of baking soda or vinegar to the laundry. Especially with the kids clothes, i think it helps neutralize the odors. I got a big bag from Costco of each, it's a pretty cheap alternative to oxi clean or something like that.

1 / 3