Does a Pet with Worms = Children with Worms?

I just noticed my pet has worms, and I plan on having him treated asap. I have small children in the house, and I was wondering how likely is it that they have worms also? Do I have to go to a Dr. to find out? Can I get something over the counter to treat or prevent worms in children? I remember my mom getting pills for us to treat worms when I was a kid a long time ago, but I haven't seen anything like that in the store since I have been an adult. Any advice is welcome. YES! THEY ARE THE SMALL ONES ABOUT THE SIZE OF RICE. WHEN I TOOK HIM OUT TO GO POO TODAY I SAW ONE.

I use grapefruit seed extract - just once or twice - and that seems to do it. Not sure if it's safe for dogs, though I admit to using it in the past. Much healthier than the stuff they prescribe (for people or pets).

Yes, pets with worms often = kids with worms. Licking faces, or petting snouts then sticking hands in cookie jars, etc. Hard to avoid.

You can check by shining a flashlight down under after kids have gone to bed.

Your dog has tapeworms, which are given to the dog by fleas. Call your vet and ask them if your child can get them and treat your dog for both the tapeworms and fleas. You may need to treat the house for fleas also.

I'd talk to the kids' doctor just to be safe. If I remember correctly, the type you're talking about (the small rice size ones) are caused by fleas. So, in addition to treating the dog, you might treat your house for fleas too. Hope this is helpful. We have three dogs ourselves, and that's something I'm always on the watch for. Let me know what your doctor says, in case that happens to us.

I guess anything is possible. If I were you, I think I would surely check the children if the animal sleeps in the beds or around the children. I do not have house pets, so I am at a lose with this one, but curious. I guess I was very lucky, because my children never had worms. Believe me, I checked them often with a flashlight because they played outside a lot.
Let us know the outcome.

Yes, the rice sized worms you saw probably were the egg sacks of tapeworms. And most importantly, yes, humans can have them too -- but obviously not as often -- we are not the natural host. (This is why I do not let dogs or cats lick my face -- they lick their hinnys because they itch and then lick my face? I DON'T THINK SO!)

I don't know if doctors would treat for these unless the child was showing symptoms. Lots of pets get them (fleas are the carrier) and I haven't heard of children being treated -- but it may fall into same category as "dirty"?.

Please don't confuse these worms with the pinworms (and dogs are not hosts for these) that a lot of children get in preschool or elementary school (which is probably what you had as a child). Those symptoms are never sitting still -- wiggling around on chairs -- and the nose always itches. Pinworms come out at night around the anal openig when your child is sleeping (if the child has them bad enough you can see them when they poop). You can go into their bedroom, spread their "cheeks", and see the worms (use a flashlight!). Doctors usually send moms home with what the lab calls a scotch tape test....

When you shake the sheets in the morning, not realizing your child has the pinworms, the eggs fly all over and then, you too, can get them. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT! Very contagious...
You breathe the eggs in, they find their way to the intestine.

Well, more than you wanted to know. Perhaps one of the other mothers has had actual experience with "dog" worms.

I just read some of the other responses to your question.
Pinworms are not the same as tapeworms, although the outcome (rice) looks the same. I could give you the Latin names and life cycles .... and yes, one mother was correct in saying that if your child runs around barefoot, you could get worms -- those would be hookworms. But the yard has to be very infested, conditions just right, etc. Lots of things "out there" that just love us -- but not much stuff gets us, thank goodness!

From what little I remember about my college parasitology class, your kids would have to be practically eating the dog's poop to be getting worms. However, they can be passed by fleas and mosquitoes too and be in the soil. I know you can buy over-the-counter pin worm medication in my small Kansas town but I've only seen it in the locally run pharmacies...not the big box stores. If your kids start scratching their bottoms, getting the runs or look bloated then you have cause for concern.

When you child goes you will be able to see them, if they go in the potty look for tiny bubbles. I know it is gross but chances reif you see them then they have them. the doc will gie you meds for them. I think they are called pin worms. Hope that helped.

are the worms white and kinda wide flat ? if they are it is tape worms and you deed to treat the dog for fleas and keep the dog on the flea treatment cause if it gets fleas it will get the worms again as far as your child getting them you should ask you vet and your doctor good luck by the w3ay the reason that your dog gets worms from the fleas is because the dog bites the fleas and swallows some of the fleas sorry I didn't think it could be a cat same thing but you need to get a flea control for cats and you need to get either one of the flea controls from a vet cause the over the counter don't work they just take your money

1 / 3