Do You Tip Appliance Delivery People?

This came up recently in a discussion and I'm curious about what other people do. It never occurred to me to tip an appliance delivery person, but I imagine it is a very hard job so it's understandable. Just not something I thought of before.

Do you tip for this service? If so, about how much? Does it matter whether you paid a separate delivery charge? Thanks!

Thanks for all the responses so far! It's not something that has come up for me until recently (our house came with appliances and most of our furniture is pretty old or came from family) so I never thought about it before. It's funny - after I posted this, the comcast guy came for an installation (not free) and I swear he was hinting for a tip! I'm so dense I didn't even realize it until after he left. I almost never have cash on hand, so I guess the result would have been the same . . .

Anyway, thanks, everyone! I think I agree that if something is just dropped off, it's one thing; if they have to go up flights of stairs and go out of their way, they should get something. I really, really hate that companies can't pay people enough that I don't have to make up the difference (I'd rather have it included in the delivery charge so I don't have to think about it) but that's not the delivery person's fault, I suppose.

Absolutely tip them! I can't believe there are actually people who think it's acceptable not to tip them.

No! I would not tip them but you could offer them something to drink. They are paid to deliver you appliances, it is their job, and a tip is not expected in this line of work. You pay the men when you pay a delivery charge.

I completely agree with Barb A - however, if you have tons of "extra" money lying around and are dying to get to rid of it, by all means I am sure they are glad to take it off of your hands. Also, tip according to how heavy the item is, how far they have to move it, etc, if you do decide to tip. But remember, these people are paid a regular salary, not like waitresses who are paid far less than minimum wage and rely on tips as their income.

Have a good day!

Absolutely! And if they set up your bed, appliance, furniture, etc. and take away the mess, $10.00 is approiate. Any service that keeps you from having to figure out the way to get the product where it belongs and set it up for working surely deserves a tip.

It depends. We had a la-z-boy chair delivered to our house that was set up in one step. We didn't tip him. He was in and out of our house in less than three minutes.
We also had a set of twin beds for our guest room delivered. The assembly took almost an hour. I tipped both men very well since the work would have taken me days.

These men are doing what they are already paid for. There is no reason you should feel obligated to spend even more of your money when they have done nothing more than drop off an appliance. You've already paid the delivery charge.

Absolutely. $5-$10 a person depending on the job — set-up, lots if stairs, etc. It is a service and the service industry works partially on tips to make a decent living. And you're right, it's not an easy job. If you tip your stylist or manicurist, you should tip delivery people.

I do not tip delivery service people. I do offer them a can of coke or other portable beverage though.

edited to add:
Service men make at least minimum wage, if not more. Additionally, most of the time I am shelling out $100 or more for delivery. For example, I am having a patio set delivered to my house which will take all of 3 minutes to unload. They've already gotten PAID to do their job. On the other hand, servers in restaurants make minimum wage or less. If you don't tip them, then they are actually paying the government (through their taxation) to wait on you. Their 'salary' is figured by assuming a tip and receive tiny, tiny paychecks (although they do walk out the door with cash on hand nightly).

no, not as a rule. A drink for sure, praise for sure, but not money unless it's been an unusual situation. Let your heart decide. xo

I think MarieB and I must have married relatives. My husband always tips everyone. He is so nice. That's why I married him. But anyway I think a coke and some cookies are fine. I'm sure they'd like the money better though. Teehee.

1 / 3