Do You Take Your Toddlers Trick or Treating?

This is kind of a spin-off on a question I was just reading, and I was kinds surprised at how annoyed some people get by seeing babies trick or treating... It seems like their cut-off age averages out to about 2 years old. ~~I absolutely do not mean this as a slam to anyone who feels this way... everyone is entitled to their opinion. I know that I get annoyed over things that seem stupid to other people...

My DD is 17 month old. We are going to a block party instead of trick or treating (there is going to be a candy row though for safe trick or treating AT the party...), BUT if there was no block party, I would definitely be taking her out into the neighborhood. She is super-adorable, and I always love the chance to show her off. Not only that, but she absolutely LOVES meeting new people, and I honestly think she would enjoy herself. Just because she can't SAY 'Trick or Treat' doesn't mean that she is incapable of enjoying herself. Plus, while she doesn't get candy very often, she does enjoy a treat every now and then.

Of course, I would only take her to a limited number of houses. I could see getting annoyed if the parents were lugging around a huge bag of candy...

Personally, I LOVE seeing little kids in their costumes. I also love when I see people out with their dogs dressed up, and I keep a little bin of treats for them too. :)

So I was just curious... at what age did you start taking your kids trick-or-treating?

I took mine when they were babies. Hubby and I dressed up and used the baby to get candy. Isn't that normal?

I answered that question and I hope I didn't confuse anyone w/ my answer.

I plan to let my 17 month old go, I think he will love it!
Though I have no clue what he is going to be yet. :(

Seeing the babies IS the BEST part of the night. And I couldn't care less if any kid can or does say 'trick or treat'. I know if my DD was forced to say it or forgo the candy-she'd forgo the candy.

DD's first trip out was right after her 2nd birthday. She was DeeDee Doodle-remember the horrible Doodlebops? She was obsessed. She was the cutest thing ever in her go-go outfit and massive pink wig styled to perfection. She had a blast! ;)

We took my daughter for the first time when she was 14 months old. She LOVED it, and people enjoyed seeing her. We didn't clue her into the fact that what she was getting was edible. She was into taking things in and out of containers, and loved the idea of picking up the shiny objects. We transferred a good percentage back into bowls, so we didn't take a lot of candy home (and she never ate anything, just played with it). It was just about getting out and being part of the experience. We have a very family friendly neighborhood, and I think I liked it as much as she did. I like it from the other side of the door too, but it was fun being out with the HOARDS of kids. It was a warm night, and the streets were teeming with children.

And personally, I really enjoy seeing babies and toddlers. They are some of my favorites, because they are so excited, without even really understanding the whole thing.

I don't even mind the pre-teens and occasionally teens, as long as they are still having a good time. Those are the ones I hear people complain about.

Yes, Take your son he will love seeing the big kids! Good time to practice "Trick or Treat Please!"
"Thank you!"

I LOVE seeing the little ones. Parents dress their kids funny.. When the children get older, they pick out the costumes, but seeing the veggies, fruits and little angles is just so sweet.

I really think in general, people who hand out candy love doing it.

I wish the ones that think it is a chore, would turn off their lights and just ignore the event.

Last year my son was only 5 days old and my daughter was 3.5 y and the family went trick o teating. It was extra special memory, baby's 1st Halloween. I also I wanted to be there with my daughter, so missing it was was not an option. The pictures of all of us four were wonderful. Both of my kids had pumpkins for their candy, baby's candy was all mine :) it was a short and sweet experience few houses around our community.

We took our daughter out at 8 months, 20 months, and will again now that she is 2... with her baby sister who is 4 months.

when she was a baby we didn't really ask for "treats"- Also, our community doesn't do neighborhood trick or treating... we have "trunk or treating" where you take kids to a parking lot, and they trick or treat out of people's trunks (which are often decorated a lot)

In a nearby town we also go to trick or treat around the town square, if we can make it. The businesses give out candy and they have separate times suggested for different age groups... starting at about 2:00 pm.

But last year my daughter could say "trick or treat" and knew how to hold out her sack and say thank you. We came along with her of course- but she had a blast! She knew what trick or treating was, and I don't see why there must be a "cut off" age for babies. In my area you see TONS of babies, and I never have heard anyone be bothered by it. On the other hand, when I dressed up as a mama bee (to pass out candy) when I was pregnant- one lady said remarked "I don't think it is funny to pretend you are a pregnant lady for a costume..." GEEZE LOUISE!

Anyhow...This year the kids are going to be a baby butterfly, and Kai Lan! (from ni hoa kai lan)... I am so excited!

-Oh, and my husband and I will be vampires LOL!

-M.

My son is 11 months and he IS SO GOING TRICK OR TREATING!!! He's gonna be the cutest little pumpkin! And if people are offended or feel that he shouldn't be out trick or treating, then they don't have to TREAT him. No worries. I'm sure there will be a lot more folks enjoying the site of the PUMPKIN!!! Can't wait :)

My daughter was 6 months but I only took her to neighbors/friends houses to show her off. I didn't do it for the candy.
I have to say I LOVE it when babies and toddlers come to my house they are just so cute. It never occured to me that some people look at it as a handout or are annoyed to be giving candy out to kids w/out teeth. Bah humbug:)

I just paid $53 for my 13 yo costume. I hope no one thinks she is too old to trick or treat.
I always throw in a lot of extra candy when I see the parents dressed up too.

1 / 3