Do You Still Ovulate When You Are Breastfeeding

Hello,

I've had my period back for about 5 months now. Our youngest son is now almost 1 1/2. We would like to get pregnant again but it's been 3 months since we've started trying and nothing.... Our son still nurses anywhere from 2 to 6 times during the night and only 1 to 3 times all day long. It's always a little different. But I was just wondering if maybe I'm not releasing any eggs becasue he still nurses so often???

Background info. We've been pregnant 5 times with 3 miscarriages. Our 2nd and 5th pregnancy are now Hannah (3 1/2) and Jack (1 1/2). The regular doctors couldn't tell us why we were miscarrying so we went to a naturalpath and figured out it was our diet that was causing the problem. So for the past 2 1/2 years we have eaten mainly organic. No soda pop. Very little garbage. We rarely eat out. NEVER fast food. We farm and our home together as a family. But we've never had trouble getting pregnant. It always happened within the first 2 months of trying with the exception of Hannah. It took us 6 months to get pregnant with her....

I worked in an OB/GYN office for 15 yrs and I can't tell you how many oops we had because mom's didn't think they ovulated when breast feeding. Yes you do and yes you can get pregnant. Good Luck.

Many of my friends have become pregnant whist breastfeeding, and so now tandum feed :)

www.a-little-wish.co.uk

I have been pregnant or breast feeding for 4 and half years straight now. So it is VERY possible to get pregnant while breastfeeding! I plan to continue breastfeeding until my youngest is a year old in March and then I am done with having and nursing babies. Good luck!

Hi M.! I recommend the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility". It's great for helping you know what your body is doing and to know exactly when you are ovulating.
As so many have said, yes you can and most DO ovulate while nursing. I know a girl who got pregnant during her period. Everyone is so different.
Have you heard of red raspberry leaf tea? It does not help you get pregnant but it does help with hormones and mabey leveling out hormones will help the ovulation process. I have no idea if that is true but so many things are connected in our bodies that it may help. I do know that the tea is GREAT for pregnant and nursing moms.
Good luck to you!

M.,
You can chart your temps and tell if you are ovulating or not. There are many websites (fertility friend) you can use to learn about this. Some folks have anovulatory cycles for several months while they are breastfeeding, especially when they get their periods back so early (mine didn't return till I was 21 mo. post partum and we were only nursing 2 times a day). Be aware that if you get pregnant it can drastically reduce your milk supply in the second trimester so you may have to switch your baby to formula at that time even if you continue to breastfeed him. Good luck.

Hey M.~

I first of all want to say "Good for you in turning your diet around and your families"!!!!! I don't think people in our society realize the importance in eating right and also supplementing their bodies with good quality food supplements! The body just has to have good support because our food is SO FULL of BAD stuff and the environment that we live in is SO toxic!

Like everyone has stated, yes, you are still ovulating if you are having your period and typically during breastfeeding at some point most women get their period back.

Take care~
A.

Three months is not a long time to be trying. Relax, and have fun. ;-)

Yes, the fact that you are breastfeeding *could* be affecting your ovulation. If I were you, I would track my basal temperature for a couple of months. Also, watch for the discharge that accompanies ovulation; it is thick and you will be able to stretch it between your fingers.

I got my period almost 4 weeks to the day after my son was born, and I was breastfeeding!! Breastfeeding never stopped my period, not even for one cycle. Everyone is so different.

I didn't read the other answers but the simple answer is yes. If you are having a period, you are ovulating. You CAN get pregnant while nursing. I was still nursing my second, 3 times a day and twice at night, when I got pregnant with my third. Good luck!

YES YES YES!!! One of my good friends was breast feeding and was on the "mini pill" at the same time and got pregnant with a surprise baby#4!!! Try the book "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weschler--it's very simple to understand and I believe there is a section on post-partum and nursing. That book should be required reading for every woman, whether they are trying to conceive or trying to avoid conception without popping artificial hormones into your body. I'm sure your naturalpath is familiar with this book, if not I'd share it with him/her. Good Luck!

1 / 3