Do You Smell like Food After Cooking?

I know this is probably a WEIRD question, but after I fry up some foods I totally smell like grease! This morning I made bacon and pancakes and even though I had the range hood on my hair totally smells like bacon and so does my shirt. Now I have to shower and change my clothes.

Anyone else have this? Is that why people who work at McDonalds wear baseball hats?

I wear the same robe while I cook breakfast and then hang it outside for a bit. It always seems to smell like pancakes but at least my good clothes don't! I think you're to be congratulated for cooking a big breakfast!!!

I like to cook bacon in the oven. Single layer on tinfoiled baking sheet at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. You still smell the bacon but your arms aren't covered in the grease. Also, get rid of the grease as soon as it cools by wrapping up the foil and throwing it away.

As a pro chef when I cook my hair is encased in a wrap for two reasons. First the cooking smells from standing over food attach to my hair. Second any shedding of my hair I do not want to get into the food. Therefore I would suggest pulling the hair back and wearing a cap. We chefs do that for a reason. You will have smells in your hair, skin and clothing from your involvement with the food. That is why it is best especially having a dinner party that one showers and changes before the party. If you are serving others don't spray perfume prior to cooking. The natural smells of the food will meld well when you are cooking, serving and eating but yes you must shower and clean after the event to eliminate the smell, especially before you go to bed.

Frying can smell up everything in my kitchen, including me! It seems to be my clothes, mostly. I try to wear an apron and get it in the wash as soon as I can.

As far as baseball caps at McD are concerned, many states require restaurant food handlers to wear hair restraints. This is so you won't find (or not find!) a long blonde hair in your Big Mac. In a number of fast-food franchises and other places, baseball caps are acceptable as hair restraints.

I work in the restaurant industry. Just an interesting factoid: The reason we are required to wear hats, visors, or the like is not because of the grease getting in our hair, or because of the risk of our hair getting in your food. I actually just asked my Health Inspector about this recently, while I was working at a local fair. It's because they don't want the worker touching their hair or wiping sweat off their forehead while cooking, so they require you to wear something that will catch the sweat on your brow and discourage you from running your hand over your hair. They want you to keep your hands as clean as possible ALL the time.

I always wear a bandana and tie my long hair back tightly, braided or in a bun, while cooking. I also wear an apron any time I cook, either at work or at home. After cooking greasy foods, I wash my face as soon as possible. You should never wear long sleeves while cooking, due to the risk of them catching on fire, so if you can, wear short sleeves or roll up your sleeves as far as you can. All of those things will also help to keep the grease from contaminating your clothes and hair.

My husband's family used to cook everything in oil so he did, too when he was cooking things. I started to realize when I went to work that I smelled pretty bad hanging out in the kitchen and/or I left baskets with clean clothes there. to answer your question -YES I am sure that is part of it and also why I am making sure I do not leave my baskets in the kitchen anymore. So,
you can always tell people who work in restaurants who haven't gone home. I have been in video stores and you can smell it across the way. Oh well, it's not a bad smell, but it sure is strong.

yes.
'Smells" are particles in the air... it floats around and adheres to us!
Same thing happens when I BBQ outside on the grill.

Yup... it's because the oil goes airborne. Typically as a fine mist. As a matter of fact frycooks are at high risk or oil inhalation pneumonia, which is a real pain (similar to emphysema).

It's why LONG before state regs said restaurant employees needed to wear hats that they wore chefs hats and caps that look like surgical scrubs. Not so that hair wouldn't get in the food... so food wouldn't get in the hair as MUCH. (Having worked in several nice restaurants food ALWAYS gets in your hair, under your clothes, etc... but the caps and aprons keep it from getting under as MUCH). It's also why women used to wear aprons and their hair up and under a kerchief when they cooked. But these days that's not "pc" so you only find those items in gourmet shops.

yes, it's why I hate making bacon even though I love eating it! I used to work at a movie theater and always smelled like popcorn, which was fine, because I love the smell of popcorn, even after 7 years of smelling like it. :-)

1 / 3