Do You Seriously Love Being a Mom?

Just wanted to start a discussion with my fellow mamapedia mom's about the stresses and overall opinion/feedback of being a mom. I'm a SAHM (constantly looking for a job though) who really can't say that I'm in love with being a mom. Everyone always needs me and it's so much stress and work with, I feel, very little satisfaction. Just looking for both negative and positive comments about this issue. Thanks!

WOWZER!! Thank you SO much for all of your honest opinion's and suggestions. I'm so glad that I'm not the only mom out there with these same thoughts. I know I need to find a hobby and make more time for myself...all of which I am working on. I already go to the gym just about every day of the week, she goes to the Kids Club and loves it. I'm sending my 3 YO DD to PreK for 2 day/week starting in 2 weeks. I am really super looking forward to that for the both of us. That will give me more time to hear myself think, look for a job, etc. My 2 older DS are at school all day so that helps, it's just that my DS creates so much stress for me because of her age. It's just nice to know that I'm not alone in my thoughts. Thank you so much!!!

Like they say about the army: the toughest job you'll ever love.

No pay, often unacknowledged, under appreciated (but forget to wash underwear one week! LOL), delayed gratification, and so much more.

Remember, moms don't get immediate payment, but we're "building cathedrals", right?

Good for you for being so honest! Yes, there are PLENTY of days that I just don't want to be a mommy anymore..... I miss the days where I could sleep in (sleeping in is 8am now), make the house real dark and watch movie after movie after movie (now I'm running around doing things my son wants to do all the time), etc etc etc... I guess I just miss the days where I could be plain ole lazy and not leave my couch if I didn't want to....
But I do love my son more than anything in this world (even though he drives me absolutely NUTS sometimes)... Seeing all his little achievements and hearing him laugh and say I love you mommy, makes it worth it......

I LOVE being a mommy but i HATE being a SAHM, I would much rather be out working a few days a week to give myself a little break from constently chasing a 2 yr old. i would never change her though NEVER. I just dont like being stuck at home all day every day with no break what so ever from her

I love being a mom with every ounce of my being. It’s like I was born to be a Mom to my kids. Never in a million years, before I had kids, did I ever think I could love another human being so much that I would die for them.

Sure, there are good days and bad days, ups and downs, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world!

I do LOVE being a mom of 3. I feel I was born to be a Mom. There is no other life for me.

With that being said, yes I find there are days I have trouble finding the balance. My life is on hold for my kids. I work full time and when I say my life is on hold I mean I do not go out, School, My relationship with my husband everything I am there for my kids and that is it. That has caused issues and I am making adjustments (school starting is Sept. and Dates with hubby to start soon.) But I cannot get enough of my kids. We play we talk we read and I love it. I get 9 hours at work 5 days a week, so I can appriciate my time with them that much more. I always have said you SAHM's deserve all the credit in the world. You do not get time away like we do.

((((HUGS)))) You are not alone!!!

It is so refreshing to read your post. Thank you for sharing. So often, I feel like I must be doing something wrong that I don't feel utterly fulfilled by having become a parent & caring for our child.

Some ways/some days, I love being a mom. And other days/other times, I have no patience and the lack of adult interaction drives me crazy. No matter what, I do love my DS, though.

I'm not a SAHM, though: DH & I work mostly opposite schedules, so I take care of DS by myself most nights and often on the weekend, while DH has him during the day. We have insurance through where I work, and frankly, I'm not sure I'd quit to stay home even if I could.

Edited to add: I just want to clarify that I am not criticizing SAHMs or SAHDs. You guys do hard, hard work, for which this is often very little appreciation or understanding. I'm thankful that I am able to make the choice.

YES! But...
We weren't going to have kids...period. Then we both changed our minds when we hit our mid s 30's. Then my DD was born and she sent me into the world of SAHM baby bliss!!! How could I almost have missed this opportunity? I would cry thinking how I almost missed out on being a mom. It was the best thing ever! Even in the middle of the night it was HEAVENLY! She was a great eater, a great sleeper, a happy sweet baby. Then she turned 2.
Wow.
Just as I was telling someone that at 2 she was a very good form of birth control (she was a good kid...just very strong willed and challenging!), I found out I was prego with our DS! He arrived when she was 2 1/2.
He was a poor eater, terrible sleeper, sweet baby, smiling all the time, but wow...what a challenge. I still was "in love" with being a mom to an infant but was also a mom to a tough almost pre-schooler!
Now she's almost 4, he's 15 months, and I have my hands full. Both are very strong willed, though wonderful and I LOVE being their mom...but I do it 24/7 on my own. Dh is deployed for the year and I am overwhelmed a lot.
I wouldn't trade it for the world, but there are truthfully moments that I am about to scream if I hear, "Moommmmmy" whined one more time, or get hit by another pea flung from a high chair. Frankly...I need a break once in a while, and don't know when I'll get one.
So...do I LOVE being a mom? YEP! Would I like to be able to take a "sick day" once in a while!? HECK YEAH! Would I trade it for anything...NO WAY. But am I the mom I wish I could be all the time...sadly...no. I get angry, I get frustrated, I want to scream and throw my own tantrums and I have a long way to go to become mother of the year...but I'm doing my best and my kids know I love them and would jump in front of a bullet for them, without a second thought. I've even considered having another (but not until Dh is DONE with deployments).

Now...ask me when they hit their teens...I might have a different answer! =0)

I am a 25 yr old SAHM of one 2 year old and I do have my moments where I really dont like being a mom. The crying, the whining, the constant need for attention. However, whenever I go out without my son, all I can think about is him. All in all, yes, I do love being a mom. My sons hugs, kisses and snuggles are all the thank you in the world I will ever need.

1 / 3