Do You Send Your Child to School with a Cough?

Hi Moms,

If your child has a cough and clear runny nose, do you send them to school? Other than that, they are TOTALLY fine...

Reason I'm asking:
My son has a cough and runny nose, like 1/2 OF HIS SCHOOL!!!! He's TOTALLY fine other than that...
I brought him to school this morning and watched him in a little play... The teacher said he sounded like a seal with his cough (it's a dry cough. EVERYTIME he coughs, he coughs into his elbow).. When the play was over, she was feeling his head and looking at me.. I felt uncomfortable and also angry. She asked if he was sick and I said " he has a cough like 1/2 the school does"... I can tell she wanted me to take him home.. I said "what's the problem" and she said "it's one thing for a cough but another for a runny nose" REALLY??? A clear, runny nose!!!! Needless to say, I was angry and told her I wasn't happy and that I would take him home...(as I'm listening to other kids coughing as I'm walking out the door)
Do you know what he's doing at home right now? RUNNING AROUND PLAYING BECAUSE HE'S TOTALLY FINE!!!!!!! I was so angry that I called the director and asked what the policy is on coughing and "clear" runny noses? She said "mother's know best and that the teacher was going to call me later".....She was being very nice and polite.She was already aware of the situation because the VPK teacher told her what happened
I "used" to be that mom that wouldn't take him to school if he was coughing, BUT I see everyone else does bring their child.. So, I do as well now....
Just rubbed me the wrong way~

Yup! They stay home if they have a temp above 100, if they have dark green snot, throwing up or issues at the other end.

My oldest has asthma and allergies (both seasonal and environmental) if I kept him home for every cough and runny nose he gets the boy would never be in school!

Yes as long as it's just a cold and no other symptoms. What are you gonna do wait until it stops? Average cold lasts 7-10 days.

I did, as long as they feel good in every other way. My boys took a hanky in their back pocket.

If the cough has kept them up at night, I have. If I know that they didn't get the sleep they needed and feel really crappy then yes... but if they are fine with just a lingering cough, then they go to school!

Yes if not shed be home all winter
also i believe your most contageous before you show symptoms and in the 1st few days! i i do feel anything stomach virus or fever related should be taken seriously

yes, if I kept them out for every runny nose and cough they would never go to school. I keep them home if there is a fever or they cannot participate.

Yes. If there is no fever and he's not clearly lethargic, then he goes to school. I kept him home one time with the sniffles... by about 10:00 I regretted that decision! He was fine and running around the house like a crazy person!

1 / 3