Do You Really Lay Flat to Dry?

It seems that all my sweaters this season say "lay flat to dry". Where do you find space to lay all your clothes flat to dry? Is it really gonna mess up the clothes if I hang it to dry or *gasp* tumble dry low??

I lay my sweaters flat by draping them very carefully on a drying rack. If I really laid them flat the cats would thank me for the new beds.

I love to freshen up sweaters with Dryel, it is a dry clean at home product. I use it mostly on sweaters. If I do hand wash a sweater I lay it on the ironing board or a counter in the laundry room.

get a clothes rack and hang them on there, then when they're dry put them in dryer on low setting for 10 min and it will get any marks out that the rack left on it.

I lay a towel out on top of the dryer and lay it flat. The heat of the dryer while running helps it dry, actually. I've also seen the "screen" dryers at Bed, Bath and Beyond. If you have room in your laundry area, you can put it there. Or the bathtub :) Generally, yes, wet sweaters will stretch out and get longer if you hang them while wet. It also makes funky puckers on the shoulders.

Yes, it will really mess up your sweaters if you dry them. For those that do, I promise they are not the same shape/size/color or pile as when they were bought. If you hang them dry, they could stretch. Use a dring rack, it is much faster than putting it on a towel on the bed.

No, I have nice wooden hangers so I hang them. Otherwise the sweater takes to long to dry I and I sense a musty mildewey smell in it.

I never, ever, do.

But a girlfriend does. She has a rack that holds about 20 sweaters (although she usually only is drying 5-10 at a time, so there's more airflow) and is about 2'x2'

My husband has ruined more wool sweaters by putting them in the dryer on low, than I can count. Fortunately our son can wear them. Myself? I had a friend who was 6'8 (ball player). I tossed his sweater in the wash and dryer, and then couldn't figure out whose dog sweater was in my dryer. It went from about 4 feet long to about 1 foot square. First and Last time I EVER tossed wool in the dryer. I still have that thing. It looks like a pot holder. Ahhhhh... memories.

I bought a drying rack at Target. Love it!!!

1 / 3