Do You Put a Car Seat in a Taxi?

We are going to be traveling in a little over a week and are planning an taking a taxi home from the airport. We were not planning on taking a car seat with us because we won't need on once we get to our destination. We are wondering about using a carseat in the taxi on the way home. Do some taxi companies have car seats? I also thought about using a Baby Bjorn to strap her to me, then putting my seat belt on. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help on this!

I travel a lot on business and refuse to take taxis. As a result, I have found that car services can cost around the same amount as a taxi and you clean cars with more professional drivers. They also (generally) have car seats available. The cost from Hoffman Estates is anywhere from $35 to $45 to O'hare.

Spend the extra couple of bucks and go for this. There are also coupons in the Save On Magazine or any of the coupons that are delivered to your door. You can also check the phone book.

Good luck. Keep those babies safe.

i dont think taxi companies have car seats but i would suggest calling ahead to see if they offer anything like that. i dont know what else that i can help you with other than having a friend drive you that way can still use a car seat and not have to take it with you on the plane. good luck.

There are limo companies (they use the town car)who will provide a car seat on request for use to the airport...you just have to ask. If for any reasson you are in an accident on your way to/from the airport you could be charged with failure to secure your child in a car seat....let alone the guilt of having your child be hurt...don't risk it....pay the extra for a limo company and get there safe! Have a good trip!

We never had the opportunity to travel when the kids were that small but I wanted to tell you to not strap yourself in your seatbelt with the baby. You'll crush the little one if you have an accident!!!

I would definitely put my child in a car seat in a taxi -- especially in a taxi. It's bad enough being a defensive driver with your child in the car much less being on offense AND defense with a cab driver with unknown reflexes and skills. As another writer stated, my experience with cabs and taxis has been not as good as with a car service. In my opinion, the car service cars are generally cleaner, and the drivers are more professional and don't drive as erratically. I use Athena Hellas Jetway car service at least once a week for business, and I've had excellent and reliable service. However, I do not believe that they provide any car seats (but check). Another option is to take the car seat and check it in a locker at the airport. Of course, double check that too for size and cost.

I understand your not wanting to take the car seat with you, but it has been my experience that especially in a taxi you should have the baby in a car seat.

When my baby was 6 months I was in a taxi and thank god I had her in the car seat and not strapped to me. There was a fire truck coming through the light and the driver was not paying attention and he slammed on the breaks. Needless to say I was jerked around by my baby was fine because she was in her seat.

Don't take the chance, it may be a short drive but anything can happen, especially the way some of the taxi drivers drive.

Didn't we all learn our lesson from Britney last year? Never travel in a car with your baby without a car seat. It's easy to check with your luggage. Or just see if someone can drive you to the airport. It's not worth risking her safety for a little convenience. Babies aren't convenient, as you've probably learned in the last 10 months. Suck it up and travel with a car seat.

We have a local cab company we always use, and they have a certain number of car seats for their cars. You can call them ahead of time and tell them what you will need and they take care of it. I'm sure one of the big name companies (Yellow Cab or whatever) would also be able to do the same.

1 / 3