Do You Mind If the Neighborhood Kids Hang Out in Your House?

Growing up, my aunt's house used to be the hang out house. Now that I'm an adult with my own home, I don't know how in the world she did it. I don't like too many kids in my house. One or two with their parents permission is OK, but a bunch of random kids is too much for my nerves.

How do you feel about it?

EDIT: I'm talking about inside. Outside, I don't care. Usually when we're outside the other kids come out because we're always doing something. The kids next door help me garden and helped us build our shed, but the party can't move indoors! Maybe it's because of the age my kids are 3 and 6 so that's the age group I'm dealing with. Maybe it'll change when they get older. I'm not a curmudgeon...I swear! lol

I don't like to have kids inside my house. I don't mind them in the yard at all.

I used to play at my friends houses when I was young, but we were quieter back then. Kids were still "seen and not heard" We'd go to my friends room and talk quietly or go outside. We didn't annoy the parents the way kids do now! Now there is no seperation. Kids treat grownups like peers. Wow, I sound really old! I'm only 42. But things have changed in the last 40 yrs.

My 15-year-old recently brought 30 kids home "because I knew you wouldn't mind mom." We live in a tiny row house mind you and it was freezing outside. There were kids stacked three deep on the sofa and all over the floor. They even cleaned up after themselves, very impressive.

I am a very private person and crave peace and quiet, but I admit I loved the fact that she felt so confident I would be welcoming. I have always wanted to be the house everyone hung out at, and I guess I finally made it. That said, just between you, me and the fence post, it does drive me a little nuts. But at least I know where she is and what she's up to!

I have the feeling if they were coming in my house it would drive me nuts but they never do. They ride bikes, play basketball or whatever they do at other people's houses but it isn't inside either.

We have a neighborhood of elderly people mostly, so not many kids, but there is one that comes over all the time. I used to think she was annoying, but then I saw her Dad physically abusing her and screaming at her. Then I found out that her Mom told her not to tell anybody about it. When I realized what situation she was in, I made sure she knew that my house was a safe place for her. Doesn't bother me so much now. ;)

My parents had the coolest house in town for a reason - to keep their eyes on us. Growing up, we had an indoor pool, a huge trampoline, ATVs, ping pong table, one of the first Apple computers, Atari, bikes, etc. My parents knew where we were and new what we were doing. They asked me later, "You didn't think it was just by chance that we had the home all of your friends wanted to go to, did you?"

I am doing the same thing now for my kids. Get an area where they can have fun and you can keep on eye on them, but they aren't on top of you.

If I ever get around to finishing part of my basement, I won't mind. But not until then.

I know it sounds curmudgeonly ;-) but I don't usually like other people's kids.

One of our daughters has a neighborhood where the kids, and moms too, get together and the rule is all stay outside. I think that's a good rule and works for everyone. Nobody has injuries in one house or anything broken and nobody gets tired of all the kids inside. It's sad about Nikki G having this child though who needs a 'safe' place but you could let her know you are there and care even outside maybe. Just my thoughts.

Usually I like it. I love to see my kids playing and I'm at work all week so want to be around them when I'm home. I also like to see how other kids act, how mine act etc. Only time it gets on my nerves is with certain kids who always are at our house bc their parents refuse to host. So then I'm really annoyed with the parents vs the kids... Random kids might bug me but eventually they don't become random kids. You get to know them. If a child is rude too, I point it out to my kids later to teach them not to do that at other people's houses. I always kind of hated having friends over my house when I was little. My parents were a bit "square" so I'd be so nervous someone would say something wrong. I don't want my kids to feel like that.

growing up, our home was the gathering place. I was always sooooo thankful that my parents were cool with that. Whether it was at our home in the city or our wkend lake house, we always had company on the wkends (for the whole family) & extra kids/friends for us. Loved that freedom! & even as a child, I appreciated how challenging it could be for my mom who worked full-time.

Fast-forward to my older son's childhood...he had friends in/out & overnight on the wkends. By teen years, he really pulled away from us...& even now, I consider it his loss. He could have had so much more.

By contrast, my younger son embraces our company. He has friends in/out, & we hope as his teen years continue....that he'll feel comfortable bringing his friends here. To aid in that, we have a fire ring in the backyard & a pool table downstairs. We also let him set up the tent regularly...in our yard, at friends' houses....& this summer, we'll let him hit the park.

My uncle took it even further, & totally renovated his lower level to accommodate teens. Big screen tvs, game systems, & arcade games at the ready for his son's teen years. He didn't like how his daughter's teen years went - exposed to too many things at other homes.....& they decided to provide what they could to better enhance the chances of keeping their son on the straight & narrow.

Soooo, in response to your question: no, I love having extra kids. To play, for mealtime, & overnight. My parents taught me well! & honestly, I see a huge difference in my sons' years....& I will do what I can to provide a known safe zone!

1 / 3