Do You Let Your Kids Listen to Country Music?

My husband and I love country music. So naturally our 3 yr old does too. But I do find some of the songs are a little too "mature" for him. So I went to pick him up from daycare the other day and his teacher said he was singing "rain is a good thing" which talks about whiskey and other things. He went to time out for it. The daycare said it was inappropriate. Which I agree to a point, some songs shouldn't be sung at school. So how do I explain to him some songs shouldn't be sung and should I let him continue to let him listen to country music or find something else to listen to. I feel like all types of music can be inappropriate at one time or another (except for christian of course). I hope I'm explaining this right. btw He doesn't understand what whiskey is (we don't drink). Thanks.

i dont think its appropriate to put a 3yr old in timeout for singing a song that he doesn't evenunderstand the words. How about a quick - "we dont sing that song in school" and keep it movin! hey daycare - over react much?

I'd find another daycare, L.. I would never put a three year old in time out for singing... never. I don't care if it was a filthy rap song. (I would have a conversation with the parents about the content of the music and the fact that the kids were repeating it....)

Kids sing because they are HAPPY. He isn't singing with any understanding of what the song is really about.

My kids are now (almost) 6 and 7... when they were about 4 and 5 or 3 and 4, they loved the song "I Love Rock N Roll", only they didn't know all of the words... so instead of "put another dime in the jukebox baby" they would sing "put it in the juicebox and then it makes a baby. " I guess that could have been taken in all kinds of "inappropriate" ways, and if my daycare had put them in time out for it, I would have been ticked.

Sheesh.

I agree that it's not the daycare's place to decide. He's 3-what does he know about what he's singing. I love country music & my kids listen to it. My husband loves rock & alternative. My daughter loves U2 & she's 4. Everytime the radio comes on, she's wants them on. I wouldn't explain anything to him. Instead I would tell the daycare that they simply need to redirect him if they don't want him singing a song. IMO-this is not a time-out worthy offense.

That is just stupid to put a kid in timeout for singing a song......wow.....it's not like he was singing cuss words or something - when did whiskey become a four letter word??

Please find another care provider. Time out for singing a song which features whiskey? Oh, that teacher would have heard much worse from me! tee hee.

NOW if your son had snuck in a flask of whiskey... whole other story.:)

I am careful about what our son listens to, within reason. There are things I'd rather him not repeat, and children don't usually have good discretion about it on their own. My own parents used to change words. Like "Tiny Bubbles, in the wine"... for years I thought it was "Tiny Bubbles, in Hawaii" (pronounced like many mainlanders do: "Huh-why").

I think your post should be titled: "How to do I tell my son's preschool teacher not to punish my child for a non-offense?"

I'm a preschool teacher, by the way, and that is just not on my list of offenses. All we have to say is "Oh, we don't sing that song at school. Let's sing Itsy Bitsy Spider". Trust me, problem would have been solved, no shaming.

I think the daycare was way overboard in their reaction to this. I guess it's a good thing you don't listen to rap music, or he would've been expelled for singing about bitches and hoes!!!

This reminds me of our wedding. Our flower girl, 4 at the time, was running through the church belting out 'SHE THINKS MY TRACTORS SEXY! IT REALLY TURNS HER ON!'
We all laughed about it, it was hysterical. Even the pastor laughed. Its one of my favorite memories from our wedding, and now that she's a teenager its even funnier, she remembers it too!

I think the daycare went overboard. She could have just asked him to stop. He's a little boy adn doesn't know that the lyrics have real meaning or subliminal messages.

Sheesh.

Are you freaking kidding me? Maybe I am a non-country-listening-fool but I had no clue that meant anything other than the meteorological event. I am sure every toddler in there is ready to saddle up to a bar now, way to go mom. ;)

1 / 3