Do You Have to Have Your Inspection Current to Renew Your Registration?

My inspection is expired because my stupid catalytic converter crapped out because my (insert expletive) husband improperly installed new spark plugs. Long story, but it's costing me $2500 to get my car inspected, which we are doing next week. My registration is expired, and I got a ticket for both of the stickers being expired. I can get them dismissed if I get the car registered, but can I do it before the car is actually inspected? Or do I need one to get the other?

Like another mama said I have heard police can tell if you have paid but do police tell if you have paid for either registration and/or inspection? Does anyone in TX know. I have always wondered. (I am guilty that when I do buy my registration tag I don't always place it on my car right away but I paid for one).

NO, you don't. (In Texas.) You just need your current insurance and registration form.

I'm not sure how it is in TX but in PA you need to show a current registration and insurance card to get your vehicle inspected. You do not have to have the vehicle inspected to renew the registration with the state.

OUCH!! $2500 to replace the Catalytic Converter??? And it smells like rotten eggs!!!

For us, here in VA, you must have your vehicle inspection done (they submit it electronically to the DMV) PRIOR to registering your car...

Here in CA, you can pay your registration with or without your smog check. You don't receive your current registration stickers until you have your smog check current and submitted to the DMV, but if you're pulled over by a police officer, they will see that you've paid, and they won't give you a ticket.

You can get an accurate answer by looking at the DMV web site or by calling their office.

You only need your registration renewal form and proof of insurance for your registration sticker.

In Missouri you do...not sure about TX.

1 / 3