Do You Have a Joint Checking Account with Your Husband?

I have been married for five years, and for the last year plus have been staying home with my son. Before I was a teacher, and I made my own salary, although it was less than my husband's. For years, he would say we were going to set up a joint account, but since I had my own money, I didn't push him. It was just one of the many things he never got around to. Usually his excuse was that he was shopping for a new bank. Now I have no money of my own (other than the modest amounts in my retirement accounts) and I constantly have to ask for money. He still says he's going to get around to opening a joint account, but then, when I get frustrated that I am again asking for money, he asks why he can't just transfer money to my account. He will write me checks so that I can pay my credit card bill. I kind of thought having a joint account was a no brainer, and I am getting really upset about this. For the record, I don't have any reason to believe he is hiding financial information from me. His statements come to the house and I see them. I am curious about the rest of you. Whether you work outside the home or stay home with children, how do you work checking accounts and credit cards? Thanks!

Yes. Always have from the day we were married.
Everything is joint.
He earns it -- I spend it.
LBC

We have joint accounts. We have access to all of the accounts we have, but I manage the money. My husband tells me when he is going to buy something and I'll let him know if it's doable.

All but the cruise he offered to pay for.

We've had a joint account since we got married 12 yrs ago.
I stay at home with the kids. I pay all the bills out of this account.

Everything is joint.
He earns it -- I spend it.
LBC

It's all joint and it's all "our" money. We are forbidden from saying mine and yours. It's just something we agreed on from the get go and it works for us. I wasn't going to marry and only pool certain resources. I will most likely always out earn my husband and I wasn't going to insult him by having him ask for money or creating a division of finances where the earnings disparity was clear cut. For me any of those things would only build negative equity over time in our marriage. Just my opinion, though, and what works for our family. Separate works for many couples. Good luck.

We have a his, mine and ours.

When I was working - it was MY money as my money never factored into the family budget.

When I stayed home with the kids - we set up a bi-weekly allowance for food, etc. If I need more - I tell him.

Don't let money get in the way of your marriage. Tell him what you are expecting. Tell him what you need and work it out from there.

there is no reason why a joint account can't be set up at the bank he currently uses. That should be what you have access to for household things such as food, clothing, gas, etc.

Get a budget in place and figure out what you need and tell him. Don't hold it in and don't accuse him - tell him what you need and expect. He can't read your mind. You are starting to harbor ill feelings - don't hold it in. TELL HIM!!! You can do it.

Yes we do. I Havnt worked in nearly 5 years as I too quit my job to be a sahm but even when I worked, we both put our money in my account. We eventually (within 6 months) changed it to a joint account. I know how you feel! I hate asking for money like im getting my allowance. I don't see the big deal? Why don't you take the initiative and find a bank with good rates, ect? I usually pay the bills and get everything organized because bless his heart if he had to do it, it would dark in our house!

We have our own separate checking accounts and separate credit accounts. I work outside the home though and have direct deposit into my own checking account twice per month. I know we are in the minority but separate accounts work great for us. We would fight about money all of the time if we shared an account.

We both work, and make about the same amount. We have always had a joint account since we got married. Everything we have, assets and debts, are ours, not mine or his. We have weekly meetings where we go over all of our bills and our budget together so we stay on the same page. This works very well for us. I think married couples should keep everything joint.

And y'all are married???? " but then, when I get frustrated that I am again asking for money, he asks why he can't just transfer money to my account. He will write me checks so that I can pay my credit card bill."

That, to me sounds like a co-habitating arrangement, not a marriage. It's sounds like he's doing you a favor allowing you have some of HIS money.
It goes back to the 'his money/her money' thing, I never understood that.

1 / 3