Do You Have a Boy and Girl Living in the Same Room?

How long is it appropriate?
How do you decorate?

My house is a 3 bedroom I have two girls 6 years apart and a boy on the way. I think the two girls are too far apart in age so i want to room my two youngest together at first. But for how long?..we want to convert our game room into a bedroom but that will require time and money. I was wondering what to do for now.

I need to nest and my head is spinning!

My son is 7 and my daughter 4. They have their own rooms but they choose to sleep together. Maybe some find it inappropriate but I don't really care. They sleep well when they are together. I can't really tell you when it will suddenly become inappropriate. I would imagine I will just know it. Until then, I love how close they have become by spending every night talking to each other in bed. I feel like this is going to foster a great relationship and create great memories for them.

I do but my son is three and my daughter is 19 months. I plan on them staying together for a long time - several more years, at least. They love it.

I can hear them talking and laughing and squealing at night when they are supposed to be sleeping.

Sometimes I go in after they go to sleep, and there is all this STUFF in my daughters crib - extra blankets, books, toys, clothes, that my son has put in there with her.

Mine are still sharing by choice, so I can't say when that will stop. As far as decorating, the room is painted a very light, icy blue. There are glow in the dark stars on the wall, and each has their own comforter (boy has super heroes and girl has a patterned quilt).

Some people don't think our kids should still be in the same room but, even though they have their own beds and own bedrooms, they still cram themselves into the same bed like little puppies in a pile on most nights... and the two that are boy/girl are 6 and 7. Maybe some children this age have begun to lose their innocence surrounding the difference between boys and girls but mine truly haven't yet. I also have another girl who is 3 and she prefers her space a little more but still wants to be with the other 2. My 6 and 7 year old are only 14 months apart so they did everything together when they were littler and still do, they are just very close. They even took baths together until about a year or so ago, and neither thought anything of it...it is just "normal" to them. I think your little ones will be just fine rooming together for at least a few years, if not more. :)

I have four kids in one room: a girl (4), a boy (8), a boy (9) and a girl (10).

I built the bunks. Each bunk has a curtain for privacy. The older ones change clothes in the bathroom, if they want privacy.

The kids get free rein in decorating their own bedspace, including paint. The rest of the room isn't decorated.

We have various places in the house/yard where folks can retreat for quiet/private play. The beds are for sleeping and reading.

My personal opinion is that people *need* private bedrooms when they are sexually active. Beyond that, learning to live in tight quarters is a vital life skill for both college (dorms) and travelling.

My brother and I shared a room until I was 14 and he was 9. I realize that it does not sound ideal, but I don't remember it being a problem as far as privacy and such. It was never weird or inhibiting. We were able to keep our stuff separate, if that makes sense. When we moved into a larger house and had separate rooms, he would still come and sleep in my room sometimes. We were very close and never in a creepy, they-need-time-apart kinda of way. You do what you gotta do.

Decorating consisted of bunk beds and a desk and a large dresser. I don't remember the pattern on the curtains.

My son and step-daughter share a room. They are 13 but have been sharing a room at least part time since they were 5. Up until this year, she was only with us on weekends and the room they're in was the biggest, so it made perfect sense for her to sleep in there because it was big enough that she could have her own space for personal items, clothes, arts and crafts, etc. The room that my two little boys (5 & 7) share is less than half the size of the larger room. When she moved in FT, naturally she slept where she always has. The walls are neutral, curtains and bedding are red (her favorite color) and blue (his favorite) and they each have posters and decorations on the walls that are to their liking. They only use the room to sleep, do homework, and store clothing. Friends have to hang out in the playroom, and sleepovers are in the playroom as well.

We keep thinking that we've reached the upper limit of how long they can continue to share a room but we don't have any other options that any of the kids agree with. We have considered putting her in the small room and all the boys in the big room but they all hate that idea. The other thing under consideration is finishing part of the basement and putting someone down there, but that requires $ that we don't have right now.

Anyway...there is plenty of time for this to work itself out for you.

My older two slept in the same room until they were 5th and 3rd graders, cannot remember how old you are at those grades. They each put what they wanted on the walls.

Yes mine are 4 (girl) and 2 (boy). She has a twin and he is in the converted crib to a toddler. I plan on having them in there for a few more years (no more than 3) because by then we will have moved or added on. I don't even think it would matter if we moved or added on right now anyways because she likes having him in her room. He goes to sleep very easily and I doubt he cares one way or the other - but she is sometimes scared to go to bed or stay in her room all night and being able to say that he is in there with her helps. I thought once he was out of the crib that they would sleep together but he likes his space! I DID want her to have the option of having her own room by the time she goes to Kindergarten. Guess we'll see where we are financially at that time (less than a year!) OMG!

Wanted to add that we had her in there first so it was decorated in pink polka dots. Then he came along and we added blue polka dots. Now they each have a Disney themed blanket and all the pink stuff on the walls is for her and blue is for him. We have pink and blue frames with their pictures in it.

1 / 3