Do You HATE Your House?

I DO!! We moved into this house in a pinch (we rent), and while I love that I have a basement (although it's unfinished and reeeally creepy and full of cave crickets, EW) and I love our neighborhood, neighbors, my YARD, the fact that we're 2 blocks from the river and less than a mile from the kids school and grocery store... I HATE THIS HOUSE. The renters before us destroyed this place and I feel like we're still cleaning up their mess. Because we rent, we're not putting the money into it, our landlord won't pretty it up, and it's too freaking small. We have no closet space and no attic. The windows do NOT open from so many years of being closed and painted over time and time again (I can't clean between the window and the screens, EW EW EW). We have a crack running the length of the living room in the ceiling from the house settling. The electrical is SOOOOO jerry rigged it's not even funny (or SAFE). The appliances are waaay outdated. Did I mention it's SMALL?!?! I'm just frustrated. Don't get me wrong, it's not to be condemned or literally falling over, it's an adorable little house on a nice chunk of property, it just needs more TLC than I can give. We can't afford to move yet, and it seems like every one else loves this 'cozy' little house because it 'reminds them of a tree house'... IT'S THE SAME SIZE AS A DAMN TREE HOUSE!!!!!! Grrrrrrr. So yeah, I'm just venting, and because misery loves company, I was wondering how many other women hate their houses.

I should add, I actually have to go OUTSIDE to get to the basement. Makes for fun laundry days when it's RAINING. One time while I was struggling trying to bring a heavy laundry basket down there, I had a small snake fall on my head and get tangled in my hair. We have sugar ants. There's moss growing on the roof. If I owned this, I would bulldoze it and START OVER!! The bathroom is a joke, I can't even go there... there's no fan in there either. I have ONE outlet in my kitchen for everything... one.

I must say though, I know I'm very lucky to have a roof over my head. I just hate the roof ;)

Yes, but really I can't stand the neighbors and their DRAMA with each other.
Domestic Violence, neighbors threatening each other, etc.. There are no kids my child's age who have sane, sober parents. We would love to live near some good kids who play outside. I really hate WHERE the house is more than anything.

I like my house some days. Its nice but small and needs lots of work. But my husband doesn't ever want to fix anything and it gets expensive to do that stuff. About once a week there is something that goes wrong. The sink backs up. the toliet leaks, the kitchen floor is torn in places, I could keep going......

OH I SO HATE MY HOUSE!

- Our neighbors are inconsiderate and leave their dogs out at all hours. Each neighbor has multiple dogs that wake me up in the middle of the night all the time. Miserable
- One neighbor sends her kid over to our house all the time and she is horribly behaved. She literally throws herself on the ground and punches and kicks when her parents come over to pick her up. She is 6.
- The house needs work done in every single room. Not one room is finished to the point I can sit in it and be peaceful. There are always tools laying around each room bc hubby thinks he may get to working on the room one of these days. We have lived there 4 years.
- It is ugly
- There is not enough space for all of us. Not enough square footage and not even close to enough closet space. I share a closet with the baby and use the hall closet because hubby has the entire bedroom closet to himself....and he does not have much clothing.
- The yard is patches of grass and lots of dirt. The lady who lived there before us never raked her leaves and they just compacted year after year. Totally fun.
- The house across the street is a rental and boy does the LL pick some winners. Most get evicted after about 6 months. It is always entertaining to see the process server driving up.
- Did I mention I don't have enough SPACE!?!
- I literally have to sit and say to myself "At least your children have a roof over their head and you can pay your bills" each day to myself. It helps!

There....I feel a little better. =)

Well, like others have said, your landlord is responsible for fixing anything that can be considered a safety or health hazard (stuck windows, electrical, cracks in ceiling, etc). If they are not willing to fix these issues, you are legally able to get out of your lease (talk to a lawyer). So, I'd suggest talking to the landlord first--ask nicely and formally (write up a letter--keep a copy). If they don't respond (or respond negatively), start looking for a new place and talking to a lawyer. To be honest it is a buyer's (renter's) market, so as long as you are a good tenant (quiet, pay rent on time, etc), your landlord should be bending over backwards to keep you there!

For the past 3 years DH and I lived in a 950 sq foot condo that we BOUGHT. It was a rushed decision since we had just moved from across the country, were living in my parents' house, and could only get bank approved for very little $$. Besides being small, there's very limited extra storage (3x5 space in the "basement"), our unit is on the 2nd floor, so there are stairs, the upstairs neighbors were noisy (I swear they must have a pet elephant who suffers from insomnia), the downstairs neighbor is a college kid who loves to party til the wee hours of the morning, the balcony is practically falling apart, the dryer (stacked set located in the hall closet) doesn't have a vent, we only had 1 parking space, oh, the list could go on and on and on.

But, it worked for us. We were 2 people in a 2-bedroom condo, we could easily afford the mortgage + HOA payments, and it was very convenient to everywhere in the city! 1 year later, DD came along. We adjusted, and it was fine until she became mobile. After 2 years of living there, we decided to put it on the market and try to get into a new place. Yeah, 1 year on the market and NO LUCK! We finally just decided to "bite the bullet" and use it as a rental property. Here we are 3 months later and it's going good. Fortunately, we made a lot of improvements while we lived there, so the tenant is very happy with the upgrades and "hominess" of the place.

We are currently back at my parents' house saving up money for our next house... We won't look at anything smaller than 4 bedrooms! I hope that by this summer we'll be moving into our own Dream House!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new house!! :) I say that because I, too, did not like my previous house. It was also an in-a-pinch house and knew when we bought it that we'd be there just a couple years. Well, that turned into over 4 years and I was literally househunting for two years before I found our present home. The kitchen was WWAAAAAAAAYYYY too small for our family of then-6. The floors creaked, you could hear everything everywhere (poor insulation), it was like the home was stapled together with cheap materials and it showed! Here's what I did to try to make myself feel better before we moved:

I watched ALOT of HGTV and got tips on how to dress up our house to make it look better suited to my tastes on the inside. Basically that included lots of painting and decorating. But I did it on the cheap, buying things on clearance or on craigslist. We updated all the UGLY, old and outdated light fixtures, which made a huge difference. We updated the UGLY countertops in the kitchen and bathrooms. We put bright or neutral colors in the walls in certain rooms and made them pop. I bought those cute sticker-wallpaper decals to put in the playroom and the kids' rooms so it looked like it was painted with murals. We really turned our ugly house into a little HGTV-ized showplace! So then it was ready to sell and we bought our new, modern home that needs nothing but our family to fill it.

I know you're renting, but maybe you could do some of these things to improve it and maybe the owner would knock off some rent in exchange for the upgrades? You never know. In the meantime... keep looking at the light at the end of the tunnel... you will find a better house someday. :)

I know the feeling well. My family and I have moved 15 times in ten years. Yup I still live with them (by this year I should be moved out!!!!) but each house there are great things, and awful things. Our current house was built in the 70's and still has the original drafty windows. Including one in the my shower. Yeah, don't shower when it's snowing out.
I do suggest you have an inspector look at the electrical. . .you want your house to be safe. Send the report to the landlord and say fix it. It is his job to keep the house safe.
I would focus on the things you do like of the house. My favorite house was not one I even wanted to move into at the beginning. It was nice, but I just couldn't see us in it. Low and behold, when we left I was bawling. Focus on the positive. Create storage for you. Like get ottomans with a compartment to store old whatever. Or put everyday items in the ottomans so you can free up the little storage space as much as possible. Go to IKEA and get lots of shelves and boxes to put things in. Focus on good.

I actually love my house so I can't relate there, but coming from a real estate perspective, your landlord has a legal obligation to fix the windows (you have to have an exit in addition to the doorways in case of fire or other disaster or they can't consider the room a bedroom) and also the electrical hazard. That isn't just a cosmetic problem that is a big safety issue. But I really hope you find something you like soon. And i have to say the treehouse reference to your house made me laugh:-)

I love my house, however, I've been in your shoes before. Maybe that is why I do love my house now because I've lived in a house that was so gross. It wasn't too small, but had all kinds of bugs. It was falling apart, the landlord lived cities away, like 6 hours, was not putting any money into it and thought he should charge more and I should be feeling so bless for having it. It wasn't that clean when I moved in, the bathtub was so gross. Again, so many bugs, lots of Texas cockroaches, if you ever seen a Texas cockroach you know they are HUGE and scary. I broke my lease, I just couldn't say after 3 months... I moved in with my parents for awhile until my dream house was available... I love it so much, it's so beautiful and really is a dream house to me.
So what I'm saying, be patient your dream house will come....

1 / 3