Do You Ground Your Kids to Their Room?

My 9 year old lied to us last night and for a punishment, her daddy told her that she's grounded to her room with no tv for 2 days. I'm gonna back him up on what he told her but it seems a teeny harsh to me. I'm all for a grounding and lying is the worst offense you can have in this house, but to her room for 2 days? Am I being a softy or is this harsh to you too?
She's a good kid, but in the last year or so, she's lied to us at least 4 or 5 times, so we need to nip it in the bud.

Yes, S.H., she blatantly lied. We asked her if she ate all the whipped cream and wouldn't have cared if she just told the truth, but she fessed up and that's why she's grounded.

Thanks ladies. He let her off the hook for the 2nd day if she wrote an essay about why lying is bad. She did and it was really funny. :)

I think that is great! It's only 2 days, it gets the point across, and you know where she is and what she is doing! Good job Dad!

She does need to be grounded i agree. But totally secluded in your room for 2 days doesn't quite fit the crime, especially with her good record. 4-5 times in a year is great, in my opinion.

In her room (especially with destractions in there), she isn't going to learn anything because her feelings will be that of anger and not reflection, and she won't have that follow up and drive to do good when she is feeling like an outcast. Really it's more important to spend family time together than anything.

For problems like this, my parents sent me to my room and made me write an essay on what I did wrong, why I did it and what I should do in the future.

Personnaly, I never thought that sending a kid to their room (where their toys are) is much of a punishment at all. I would make her write something like "I will be honest and truthful to everyone" 100 times. You could spread it over 2 days - 50 times each day. My son is 8 and has been doing this since age 6 - "I will be nice to Rosco" (our cat :) I always try to make the sentence positive EX I will be honest vs I will not tell lies. Any kind of extra chores are always great too.

I've done more for less.

I agree with your DH-it is a good punishment for what you call the worst offense in your house.

I know you already dealt with this....but NOPE, I do not believe in grounding. I do not think it is an effective way of dealing with kids and their busy lives and it avoids dealing with the real issue.

Check out the answers to this grounding post, especially mine and Peg's:
http://www.mamapedia.com/questions/5861432648941043713

2 days is ok. Our 9 year old does the same thing and she was not allowed to talk on the phone to her school friends for a whole week. DH set that punishment while I was at work. I followed through and she learned a hard lesson. So yes, 2 days is fine and seems like a week. Now DH limits it to two days and not a week. We have to give our kids tough love.

You are a softy. and 2 days is nothing. if this this is a repeated offense I'd prob have said a week.
Lying is a serious offense in our house.

1 / 3