Do You Dress Your Children Alike?

I'm just wondering because I have 3 daughters, two of which are twins. I like to dress all the girls in similar styles and colors, but differently. I've encountered several people who find it odd/are surprised that the girls, mainly the two little girls, don't wear the exact same thing. One time a lady asked if they were twins, I told her yes and she said she asked because she wasn't sure since they had on different outfits. I found her rationale silly, but whatever. Other times when people have seen them or seen their photos they seem surprised that the girls are wearing different clothes.
Anyway, I know there is no right or wrong way for this, I'm just curious.

Do you dress your children of the same gender in identical outfits? Why or why not?
**ETA: The girls are ages 6, 2 & 2.

:)

I don't have twins, but I don't think they should be dressed the same, at least not all of the time. I have a boy and a girl and the ONLY time I dress them kinda the same is when we go somewhere crowded like the zoo. I dress them both in bright orange shirts so I could find them if they got lost!

My Aunt dressed her twin boys alike and it was a nightmare when babysitting them as if I had to change one, I had to change the other (this continued into grade school when they requested dressing alike because that is they way it had always been done). I also had to remember which color each was wearing so I could tell who was who from behind in case I needed to get their attention quickly (I could tell them apart from the front, but from behind they looked identical when they were younger now). I found the whole thing quite a hassle. Frankly, as a parent I'm feeling pretty good if the kids' clothes are clean and they match themselves. =)

I am attending a wedding in 2 weeks with my neice and 2 daughters. The older girls saw a dress they both fell in love with and asked if they could match. Just by chance they had the same dress in infant size as well. So we will be attending the wedding with the 3 girls all in the same dress and they are as excited as could be. Its their choice so I am fine with it. I would not force it on them tho.

I am an identical twin and hated being dressed alike!!! It is one thing to do the same thing in different colors but the exact same thing...drove me nuts...My mom stopped when we told her we didn't like it. Unless you are doing some type of photo or theme for a party etc.....dress them separately please LOL! I sure appreciated it.....

OK...I only have one child...but I would never. I think kids deserve to have their own identity.

no I do not.
coordinating in style and color for pictures, but never matching.
that conjures images of 70s family variety shows for me! yuck.
Buying differant clothes doubles thier wardrobe because they can alter who wears what on each day. However, when I find a sale on something that's too good to pass up, I might buy it in every color. Coats often end up being very similar because I'll catch one style on deep discount and buy 2 of them but I try not to let them wear them at the same time. I don't know any twins that talk fondly about thier parents dressing them alike when they were young.

I also hate to see bffs wearing the same thing. It always flatters one girl more than the other. On her own merit, she would look just fine in the outfit - but put next to her slimmer, prettier friend, she's going to lose the who wore it best battle every time.

I have two children - 7 and 3 year old girls. I TRY to dress them alike occasionally (either coordinateing or matching)!! Just for fun and some cute pictures. More times than not, they want nothing to do with it. Or one of them doesn't like the outfits that match.

If I had twins, I would probably err on the side of trying to not dress them alike. However, I think it's fine to have those few cute matching pictures if they don't mind it.

I would find it weird if I saw twins or other siblings ALWAYS matching! Besides, past 16 months or so, my kids wanted to pick their own outfits!!

To match or not to match. Everyone seems to feel our twin girls should match. When they were babies I would find similar outfits in different colors to help people tell them apart. When they started having an opinion on how they wanted to dress, I began letting them decide whether not they would match. They are 5 and when we are shopping, if they like the same outfit I will get two of them. Sometimes they wear them on the same day but usually they don't. Every night they pick out what they will wear the next day and I will hear them discussing it. Occasionally, they will say to each other, let's dress like twins. I just let them decide. I think it is silly for people to get annoyed when kids match but then again I get annoyed when I see moms dressing their little girls in ultra short skirts and shorts. Everyone has an opinion! :)

1 / 3