Do You Believe in SoulMates?

Hi All,
Just wondering how many of you out there believe in the idea of real true honest to goodness SoulMates? The real deal? Two halves of the same souls? Two people who truly belong to only one another?

Would love to hear thoughts...& if any of you feel like you've met yours, would love to hear what the connection feels like!?

My husband, whom I've been with for the last 16+ years told me out if the blue the other day that he's always believed I was his SoulMate.

It caught me off guard.
I guess I'm not much of a romantic?

Loved everyone's input, as always!! 💜

No.
Two people cannot have half of the same soul. If you are not a whole person alone, then another person cannot make you whole.

People do not belong to one another. Each person belongs to him/herself, and people in love share themselves with one another.

No I don't believe in soul mates. Having said that I can not imagine that there is another man on this planet that I would be more compatible with than my husband. We rarely fight, we laugh frequently together and I just have a great time being with him. We are simply happy together.
Now if I lived some where else I am very confident that I would have met someone to marry and have children with and be happy with.

If however someone were to argue that my husband is my soul mate I would say what a coincidence that my "soul mate" just happened to live 30 minutes from me growing up, speaks my language, is around my age etc.😊

Yes, why not? Those that say no just haven't found theirs yet ;-)
I believe I have found mine and my wife feels the same. She was married 13 years before we met and I was married 16 yrs previously.
Five years ago last Tuesday we met for the first time. I could go on and on about a bunch of sappy stuff, but trust me, she is my soul mate.

In a way, I think it does exist. Only, I don't think it has to be romantic, or just with one person. I do feel like I have that connection with my husband, but it was there when we were friends. Before we even had romantic feelings for each other, I knew he'd be in my life forever. (At that time, I thought as a friend. He still is my best friend, but he is more now of course.) I have a friend who very much connects with my soul. She is someone I could not imagine my life without. My connection with her is completely different with any other person. And you know what? I don't even think a soulmate has to be human. Especially dogs, have the ability to complete a person. Although, all animals have the potential.

I think the problem with "soulmates" is people think it must be their spouse, and they aren't really in love with someone if they don't feel like a soulmate. Neither are true, in my opinion.

No.

Intellectually - no.

In my heart - yes.

;)

Nope. I believe any human has many potential matches with which to have a "soul mate like" relationship.
I believe some people have a stronger pull if attraction to each other--be it physical chemistry, intellectual ideals, etc.
But as far as " there is O. perfect half to me somewhere in the universe"? Nah.

You can have amazing physical attraction and connectedness to someone but that doesn't mean they are "it" for you in all aspects if life.

You can have "pretty good" connectivity on all levels yet the relationship might lack attraction.

I think there are lots of things going on at lots of levels with EVERY relationship we have.

I think true grace is in choosing a mate that challenges, complements and supports the relationship.

I've said it many times in this site and I think it bears repeating: far too few people put enough stock in the "choosing" part of a marital partner. Too many people settle. Too many people think the person will change after marriage. Too many people take the first ball thrown Dow the pike, so to speak.

The idea that there is O. perfect soulmate in the world for each if us is kind of ridiculous, IMO.

That said, when you choose well, it sure feels like a soul mate!

Perhaps this is the 'sadder but wiser' way of thinking, but no, I do not believe in this idea. I do believe that people can be very immediately and deeply attracted to each other-- I felt that the moment I saw my husband, but we didn't get together for another year (we were both on the cusp of divorcing our ex-spouses and needed to get our own stuff straightened out first).

What I do believe in? If two people are committed, willing to do the work, ethical in how they treat each other (honest), if they are willing to have the same goals and have a relatively similar outlook on life, things can work and couples can grow in love with each other. If you are willing to remember that through ALL kinds of relationships, feelings will wax and wane... if one is willing to stay committed, faithful and loving to each other even during those times that they have fallen out of love with each other --and most relationships have times of falling in and out of love... it is maturity that lets us see the long journey for what it is-- if both people are willing to do that, they create a strong bond with each other.

I guess I eschewed the soulmate idea long ago as an unrealistic, immature idyll of what love was supposed to be. There has to be more, more substance, more work, more tenacity involved to make a marriage work, to make a family strong. My husband is my better half-- I am a better person for him, because of him. I adore him some days and on others he makes me nuts. THAT is what I think the 'soulmate' idea misses... yes, people can grandly and wonderfully be 'perfect' for each other, but life is not perfect and then we must have much more to offer each other besides the sweet happenstance of kismet! :) Destiny didn't just bring us together, we *chose* each other.

ETA: I really liked what Bug has to say. "Soulmate" is usually used as a romantic reference. I have a girlfriend who would likely be considered a friend soulmate; I cannot imagine my life without her.

Later still.... Jim at home... my husband would say the same thing. I know he is more easily contented than I am. I think "soulmates? no-- this stuff is a LOT of work".:) I chose him happily, and I LOVED what OnePerfectOne said about choosing. Just beautiful.

nah. i believe there are many possible mates for each person, each with different gifts to bring.
but i'm sure glad i've got the one i've got!
:) khairete

1 / 3