Do Wool Diaper Covers for Cloth Work?

I am looking to cloth diaper our next baby and I want to use wool, but I'm afraid it will leak all over and I'll still have a wet lap. I wondered if any cloth diapering mamas would have any experience or advice to share with me? I've read about lanolizing, but does it keep the wetness inside the cover?

I don't know anything about cloth diapers, but my girlfriends has started using these and loves them:

http://www.bumgenius.com/

Wool covers? This is a new one for me. I am only responding to learn about this. I used cloth diapers but had plastic pants for them. My children are 28, 26, and 10.
I would think wet wool would smell really badly!!!
Forgive me, I am just curious about this.
P. R

Hi--on my 2-1/2 month old I'm just using the synthetic covers our diaper service provided, but my mom used wool covers on me and said they worked great, only one case of diaper rash ever. I guess the wool is absorbent enough that they will keep the wetness in, just switch them out every few changes so they don't get totally soaked.
Kudos on using cloth, hope you find some that work well for you.

Rubber pants that you put over the cloth diaper works well. IT also works well when potty training.

I was going to use cloth (until I found out I had twins and decided it would be too much - initial cost and laundry). I found diapers that had "built-in" covers - the diaper and cover were one piece, like a disposable diaper. I know this doesn't answer your question, but it sure sounded easier to me than using a diaper and cover.

WOOL??? Itch, scratch, and rash.

Use regular cloth diapers and plastic diaper covers.

http://www.bumgenius.com/

Hi R.,

I have never personally used wool covers. But if you are looking for a good cloth diaper that doesn't leak, I swear by BumGenius as well. They are so soft on baby's skin. These are pocket diapers. The outer part of the diaper wicks wetness away so well that my itty bitties often feel dry until I pull out the inner liner. It is amazing how much fluid they can hold. I use these A LOT, nighttime especially. They are one size fits all kind of diaper. So you aren't constantly having to buy new diapers as your baby grows. These just adjust with snaps to fit your infant up to toddler. LOVE THEM!

I've also become quite fond of G diapers. They have a flushable liner. They are nice to go out and about in. Easier than hauling around a wet bag for me. A little trick I've learned is that you can take prefolds and use them in the center of the G diapers for daytime use. Although, I don't feel they are absorbent enough for nighttime. It's great for laundry day when your diapers are in the wash. good luck! and congrats on cloth diapering. You won't regret it!

Hi R.! Good for you for wanting to go with cloth! I've never heard of wool covers, but let me tell you what we used....

I cloth diapered my first 2, and a little less with my 3rd....then we moved right after our 4th, so the cloth diapers just didn't get unpacked LOL. We did use disposables when out, and overnight once they started sleeping through the night.....

We found these great diaper covers by Dappi. They have a cloth outer cover, but have a liner, though I don't think it was plastic because it would still get the cover wet if left in a really wet diaper for too long. There's no need for pins either!

The only thing we didn't like was the velcro tabs when they got a little bigger and crawling, because the velcro would scrathch their tummies. So we took a few sets and removed the velcro and added snaps instead. It may sound complicated, but it was easy. I'm sure that you can find others, but these were not very expensive.

We bought ours at Target (8 years ago). I don't know if they still sell them.....we didn't have to buy them again for the younger ones that came along, so they last a while. I'd probably try on-line first.

Good luck! I hope this helps! And once again, good for you! I didn't mind the laundry; don't bother folding them, just put them into a neat pile out of the dryer....dont' bleach the dappi covers too much or they'll not last as long.

1 / 3