Do Women Wear Nylons/pantyhose with Dresses Anymore?

Hi Moms! I feel so out of it asking this question, but do women wear nylons/pantyhose with dresses anymore, or is that a terribly outdated look? I am attending a formal event in the near future and have no idea whether or not hose would look silly if I wore them. I also may be going on some job interviews soon, so I need to know for that setting as well. I wouldn't wear hose with casual dresses in a casual setting, but I'm really perplexed about formal and business settings. Any thoughts/advice? Thanks!

I really don't care, personally, what the trend is. If I'm going to a formal event and wearing heels, I wear hose. They make my dresses flow so much nicer, and make my heels feel better on my feet.

I wear the "nude" color.

I second the note that Kate Middleton wears them. It's just a classier look. Definitely wear hose for a job interview.

I honestly don't understand the no hose fad. My feet blister and stick to dress shoes weird without hose.

hm. depends on what kind of 'formal' event, i guess. for most formals i'd probably wear 'em. summer sundresses, casual skirts, anytime i'll be wearing sandals or open-toed shoes i don't wear hose. (and what a relief it is.) but in winter i do, actually more often it's tights. i like the extra layer, and in winter my legs are whitey white. when i'm teaching i always go conservative and wear hose. i'd never go bare-legged to a job interview.
i also love the wild ones, sparkles and patterns and fun stuff. wacky on a woman in her 50s, but what the hey?
:) khairete

Yes, if you are doing a job interview and the job is a professional one - then I would wear hose if you are wearing a suit with a skirt. I would also not wear open-toed shoes or sandals with a suit. Closed toed professional pumps would be the conservative way to dress. I also have always done very well in all of my interviews and once was even told that part of the reason I got the position was because I came off the airplane in a suit - dressed professionally and ready to begin the interview. Good thing, because I was being interviewed in the car on the way to the job site!

I think it depends upon the formal event that you will be attending...what is the venue? Is it black-tie (which means you will have a long dress) or is it semi-formal or black-tie optional (which means you will have a cocktail dress and NOT a long dress)? I am 40 and I live in Ft. Lauderdale. When I attend events in the northeast or in the Detroit area (where my mother's family lives) - I tend to go with hose! For work, I wear hose if I am wearing a skirt or dress (I work in the financial industry). I will be attending a wedding in Raleigh later this summer and it is being held at a park with a reception in a microbrewry - I am wearing a dress with cute sandals and no hose. It will be the first time I attend a wedding without hose, but I've never been to a reception in a microbrewry either:)

I disagree with Laurie A. A fashion magazine looks at trends and celebrities, not what is is proper.

Good luck! C.

Not really....looks dated, I think.

For the higher heels/pumps/foot burning/blister issue...look into the little peds liners.

But NO pantyhose with open toed shoes/sandals!

yes they are fine but not with open toed shoes!!!!!!!!

I was watching the chew a couple of weeks ago and Clinton Kelly (What not to Wear) said that they are out. And, if you have to wear them then they should match your skin and not stand out as "obvious". So, he said no suntan color unless you really are suntan color.

If its an interview I might. One thing you can do is wear knee highs for a longer skirt and then you only have half the heat. I would not wear them to a wedding, its just too hot! Well, unless its black tie and then I might, but that's not gonna happen here anytime soon. :)

It's funny because now that you mention it, I think "tights" are the new nylons/pantyhose. They serve the same purpose but are a little more updated.

Having said that, I think hose are less expected in both formal and business settings so you should do whatever makes you feel more comfortable, inlcuding wearing pants (to both) if you'd like.

If you want to wear hose and you're worried about looking up to date, I'd say just make sure to visit a dept. store or research what the updated shades and/or colors are for hose or "tights" these days since they may have changed since you last purchased them.

Have fun ad the event and good luck at the interviews :)

I wear the "nude" color.

I haven't seen anyone in my office wear hose in ages.

1 / 3