Do Kids Open Gifts at Their Parties Anymore? Only After?

Hi Moms,

I am having my son's 3rd birthday party here at our house next week. My son is very excited about eating cake and opening presents. BUT, do people still let their kids do that at the birthday party? Is it just a no-no for adult parties like an engagement party? I haven't been to that many kids parties and I think its a little lame when the mom opens the the young child's presents herself in front of everyone like it was her party or something. But my son is fully capable of opening presents and I want to leave it up to him if he wants to open it in front of his guests or not. What are your thoughts? I think its ok...

Since the party was at home I let my son open his presents at the party. He had lots of "help" opening the gifts and it was very chaotic but they all had fun and no one got upset. The only thing was it was hard to keep track of what everyone got but there were only 10 kids there so I think I can handle it. Thanks!

Please open gifts. It is so sad that people have stopped that. The kids like to see the birthday childs reaction to their gift. The parent/child took the time and money to pick it out.

I wish you would let him. I got very angry recently after going to a number of parties, spent lots of time looking for the best gift, the child not opening them and then no acknowledgment that they were ever received. That has happened a lot of times.

Kids should definitely open their presents at their party!!! I think it is so much more rewarding for them and the person that took out the time to shop for and buy a present. I have been to many parties that have taken the new approach of packing up all the presents and not opening them until after. Personally, I feel that it is rude and disrespectful. The important thing is that the birthday boy is happy! =)

I actually think its a little disappointing and anti-climactic not to see your gift opened at the party.

At the house, definetly open gifts! A lot of people have moved away from opening the gifts because they are doing the party under time restrictions. So it's completly understandable that if they only have the "party room" for an hour that they are trying to move things quickly.

I will tell you this- my girls feel cheated when they go to parties where the kids don't open gifts. They like to see what the birthday child received and to see the child open their present. I always have my girls open their presents at the party. It always serves well as the cue that the party is over and I want my house back.

I have my kids open their gifts at their parties. I get all the kids involved by having each child grab the gift they brought from the pile and have them sit down with it. I then ask who has a birthday in January and if a kid raises their hand, then they get to sit in the chair by my child and help open the gift that they brought. My child is then able to thank them and I am able to get a picture of the two kids together. Then I put the gift back in the bag or place it in a big bag i usually have for this purpose and then ask who has a birthday in feb etc.... each kid gets to feel special and and gets thanked personally and everyone feels welcomed and included. I also have a trash bag handy to toss the trash in right away, but the tissue paper we have a tradition of throwing it out into the group and by then end, all the kids have had a grreat time with it. Hope this helps you. Oh, I then send out Thank you cards by printing out the picture of my child and the gift giver and having my child sign their name to it. they are barely 5&6 so still not real good at writing lengthy things, but they are learning how important it is to appreciate people taking the time to come and bring them a gift, plus my kids get a laugh out of the pictures. I also take all the pictures and do a collage on a regular sheet of paper that they get to hang in their room to have as reminder of all the people who love them and it gets changed out every year. Hope this helps you. oh and while i did get married over 20 years ago, I opened my wedding presents at our reception and we had all the kids there help as well with the same method above so that they all got a chance and I got so many compliments about doing it and that it was nice to be able to see what all we received. I think people really like to see that the receiver enjoyed their gift. We did not open the cash gifts, but just stated that we would be using to fund the honeymoon and furnish the house.

Yes open them I find it really annoying not to have the birthday child not open his presents at the birthday party isn't that why you have parties anyway for the food,cake & presents.So what if he takes to long it really isn't that much of a hassle if people want to stay & watch what he has received great if not & they leave so what enjoy your party.If you think he has too many presents to open take yours out & leave them till after the party, know will know.
Yes we have our kids open their gifts after we eat lunch before cake or during cake after we sing the happy birthday song it just depends.

I'm a child entertainer and do in-home birthday parties and it is about 50/50 as to those that open presents at the party and those that wait.
If you do decide to have your son open his gifts at the party, it is always best to have a "special" chair or area just for the birthday boy and then remind the others to stay on their bottoms, otherwise, it can be chaos.
Just my two cents,
R.

1 / 3