Do I Offer the Babysitter a Meal? What's the Etiquette Re: Food and Sitters?

My son will be having a babysitter once a week for 4-5 hours while I take a class. She is from an agency and quite expensive (if that has any bearing on this question.) Most days will be from 2-7 pm. Should I be offering her food? I keep my mother's helper happy with sugary snacks (she's 11) but this is the first time a grown woman and non-family member will be coming. Am I expected to tell her to help herself to anything she finds? What do you ladies do?

Maybe I should add that my son is 12 months old and still eats semi-pureed foods. I don't expect her to eat that!

I always tell the sitter to help herself to the fridge and pantry. If you're using an agency you might want to ask if they have a policy on that.

I keep a good stack of frozen meals around for such occasions. that way it doesn't put me out and she can choose what, and when to eat. Eating other people's food can be strange. And it is at times when you need a bbsitter that you are least able to whip something up. I also welcome them to eat anything in the house.

I never have anything specific planned for my sitter to eat. If they're here over a meal. I tell them to help themselves to something if they want.

I would tell her to help herself to something to eat if she wants. Otherwise being there until only 7pm, she could eat after she leaves.

Assuming she'll be cooking your son dinner, I'd ask her to sit down and eat the same meal with him. This way, she's fed and also promoting healthy eating habits, engaging him in dinnertime conversation, and (hopefully) teaching table manners at the same time. Definitely worth the bang for your buck.

If she is coming to your house during mealtime, then yes you should absolutely provide her with a meal...it does not have to be lobster and filet mignon but something reasonable for sure.

When I had a nanny I always always had the mi casa su casa attitude. It's how I am 100% of the time with people in my home. Our nanny was really overly "good" about bringing her own food, and balancing things. She was here 3 days a week from 8-5. She fed the kids breakfast and lunch. Many times she even cooked dinner so I didn't have to do it when I got home. She would eat my food and then the next day bring food from her house and make things for herself and the kids. She was Salvadoran so she made alot of food from her country for the kids. Sniff...I miss her! What a doll!

I think you need to have food for her. I don't think my morning sitter eats with my kids, but they eat Toaster Sturddels, waffles, eggs, etc. She will cook for them when they have tme, but she normally brings her own breakfast, even though I've told her she is welcome to whatever we have.

If she starts eating up your meals, it's a diferent story, but have sandwich stuff and healthy snacks on hand.

I always tell my sitters they are welcome to whatever they can find.

I would just say baby's food is "x" if your hungry there are apples or stuff for sandwiches in the fridge. that will be keeping her through dinner time. she may not want anything she might eat when she leaves your house. But it would be good to have stuff for her to drink and a snack on hand. I would not offer her a meal but to say if you want there is snack stuff would be nice.

If I expect my child to eat during that time, I offer the food to any sitter I use. I do not however use an agency type of arrangement. That may be different. Plus i is generally what my children are eating that I offer.
I always say you can have anything but xy or z and I only hold back for like the next day's meal.
Go with what feels right to you. Like how would you want to be treated?
The snack sandwhich idea is a great one in my opinion.

1 / 3