Do Diaper Genies Work?

I am 34 weeks pregnant and am in the process of buying baby supplies. I have heard mixed opinions on Diaper Genies. One friend says they always smell and another says they work great. Is there some kind of trick to making these genies work? Basically I need to know if there worth the money? And if they don't work, what do I do about all the smelly diapers?

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my diaper genie dilemma. After reading all the responses, about 48 in total, I decided to go with the diaper champ. It seems that most people really liked the champ. And alot of people had many troubles with the genie. I told my husband that many women said the diapers don't smell until the baby is on solid food. He laughed and went out and bought disposable gloves and painting masks. I guess he doesn't believe me :-) Thanks again everyone!!!!

It is my experiance that if you get a diaper genie that individually wraps each diaper (when you put the diaper, you twist it and it creates an all over wrap for each diaper) you cant smell them if you empty the genie once a week, but if you get one that you can use regular bags for the smell is horrible.

I never had a diaper genie, but I have tried to use friends diaper genies and they are complicated, not to mention the only bags that work are specific diaper genie bags, I had my first child in July of 2006 and we got a diaper champ. It works great, I can use it one handed and I can use regular garbage bags, i don't have to spend the extra money on "special" bags...

I didn't buy the Diaper Geni because you have to buy special bags to use it. I bought the Diaper Champ and you can use any type of garbage bag. I just use the same ones I use in my kitchen waste basket. My son is 20 months and I still use mine and probably will until he is potty trained.

Hi J. I am also J. mom to Evan almost 1. i was the same way. my mom ended up buying me one anyway. heres how i look at it. if your going to be changing your baby in his room or your room wherever your going to have the changing table at your going to want something. i had one but hardly ever used it. my son slept in his bass. until he was almost 4 months and his dad stays up at night so he would sleep in the bass. out in the living room. therefore we always changed him in the living room. even now he's too big for the changing table that's attached to the crib so we still change him in the living room. we had been keeping the diaper genie at the end of the couch but most of the times would forget and get up and throw it in the trash. we take our trash out once a day or every other day so it wasn't bad. if we got a really nasty one i would put it in a bag. they have these blue bags mostly at target i think from munckin maybe they come with a ducky dispenser you can't smell anything when you put them in there. anyway the few diapers we did put in the genie stayed there quite awhile as we forgot they were there. about 4months and you couldn't smell them. the problem for us why it was easier to throw away is with the genie you have to shove the diaper half way down the opening and then shut the top and twist like 2 1/2 or 3 times. pain in the butt. i think now though they make ones you don't have to do that. if you can find one that you can just put in and close i say go for it if not just buy some of those bags. you'll want the bags anyway they come in handy when your on the road or anywhere away from the house. where r you from. i'm in mt pleasant . sorry this is long but hope it helps

It's all a personal preference in my opinion. Any diaper pail holds the smell in longer than just tossing soiled diapers in a regular trash can, however, as some have already stated, they still need to be emptied every few days. If you don't change it for an entire week you'll notice the smell. Also, as was stated earlier, if you do buy a diaper pail, just use it for soiled diapers, not wet diapers. This will keep it from filling up so quickly and wet diapers don't create much of a smell unless, again, you leave them for a week. As far as brand, I did not like the Diaper Genie brand because with the way it is designed, when you go to empty it you get this long string of twisted up diapers. Kind of reminds you of a bunch of sausage links tied together. But again, personal preference. We use the Diaper Dekor Plus and have been happy with it. It works much like a sealed trash can. I have even started just opening it up on trash day and removing the soiled diapers to take out to the trash. This also helps reduce how quickly you use a roll of liners.

Congratulations on your new baby (our second is due in April!) and good luck with your baby shopping!

~ V.

I used a diaper genie, I liked it alot, once in a while the bags would get stuck, but thats easy to adjust.. Good Luck with the new baby.

A little about myself.. My name is C. and I have 3 kids and live in the SOutheast part of michigan north of Detroit.

I have 3 kids 7 1/2, 4 and 2 1/2- my littlest one is just in the process of getting out of diapers, I found that the plastic grocery bags work just as well, if one of my kids had a big stink I would just put the diaper in one and tie it up and throw the whole thing away. wish you luck!!!

I didn't buy the diaper genie from advice from another mom, it does work great, however you HAVE to buy the special bags for it and after time that can get really expensive, I bought the daiper champ, it works great, and you can use very day garbage bags...

I have 3 kids. I just brought my first Diaper Genie II (the new one) for my youngest baby. I love it!! It is easy to use and the refills seem to last awhile. I do get my hubby to change the bag when it gets full. I think they are worth the price! I say just put it on your baby shower list. Liz K

Congratulations on your first baby! I have a three year old son, and I have never used a Diaper Genie. First of all, you can only use THEIR bag refills, which are expensive. I have found a good solution.... I went to Meijer and found a plastic pet food container (similar to tupperware) which has an airtight lid that snaps shut (it's probably a couple feet tall). You can buy the cheap 13 gallon trash bags to put in them. If you have a real problem with smell, put a few charcoal briquets in the bottom underneath the bag (this will help absorb the smell).

There's almost always a cheaper alternative! You'll find that you usually don't need the expensive stuff. Sure, it's cute.... but if you're trying to save money, go with something simple!

H. S.

I never tried the one you're thinking of. We use the diaper Champ and it works fine and you use your own bags. The other one you have to get their bags and they're expensive in my opinion!

1 / 3